Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th February 2017, 08:57 AM
Friend

Default Paper recommendations/LPL6600

Ilford also make a convenient A4 size RC paper which allows you to print almost all of the neg off a 35mm film without loosing too much image area. With 10x8 you will loose approx 1/3rd of the neg area unless you print to fit the paper which means you then waste paper area,

The LPL6600 is a damn good enlarger. I much prefer to use the colour filters rather than individual multigrade contrast filters. The individual filters are known to fade over time and may not give the correct grade, but the dichroic ones in the enlarger head don't fade at all.

Additionally you will have to mount the individual filters below the lens which introduces another surface that can under some circumstances degrade the image.

Using the infinitely variable filtration can help you to tweek the contrast. Also with each pack of Ilford paper they give lists for the filtration for enlargers with Kodak and Durst filtration. The LPL uses the Kodak settings.

They also give another list where you use two filters together (yellow and magenta) These are used to give equal exposure times for all grades between 1 and 4. The exposure times for grades below or above those need to be re-assessed.
Old 10th February 2017, 10:38 AM
Friend

The help everyone has contributed is much appreciated. Ill take all on board and should be able to start printing next week so ill do a bit of an update then...... to give me an idea of how I can improve and progress.

Once again thanks all.
DR
Old 10th February 2017, 07:46 PM
Friend

The cut-off can be used for test strips to judge the exposure time. Of course they need to be cut off before exposure... A cutting machine (either roller or blade) is your friend. One of the best investments in the darkroom.
Old 11th February 2017, 05:56 PM
Friend

Over the past 30 years I've settled on 16x12 as my main paper size, I do buy larger as well.

16x12 cuts down nicely to 12 x8 which is perfect for 35mm or 6x9 negatives.

All darkrooms need a good Rotatrim trimmer, the better ones are great for cutting mat board as well.

Ian
Old 11th February 2017, 07:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Over the past 30 years I've settled on 16x12 as my main paper size, I do buy larger as well.

16x12 cuts down nicely to 12 x8 which is perfect for 35mm or 6x9 negatives.

All darkrooms need a good Rotatrim trimmer, the better ones are great for cutting mat board as well.

Ian
I will go along with that too. It may work out a bit cheaper as well, buying boxes of 12x16 is pro rate size for size, usually less expensive. My original preference used to be 9.5x12 but they don't have the impact as a 12x16
Old 11th February 2017, 08:03 PM
Friend

Why do people keep repeating what I said in post no.6 ?

Did I type too quietly?

Alan
Old 23rd June 2019, 03:06 PM
Friend

So fitting negative to paper size without waste we have:
35mm neg A4, 91/2 x 12 and 16 x 12 cut in half to make 12 x 8 paper

6 x 6.45 neg 10 x 8 paper

6 x 9 neg 16 x 12 paper

4 x 5 neg 10 x 8 or 20 x 16 paper

What is the best fit with minimal waste for 6 x 6, and 6 x 7 negatives?
Old 23rd June 2019, 09:25 PM
Friend

I find 6x7 negatives print very well on the same size paper as 4x5" negs.

For 6x6 negs, I find they're all pretty much the same. Nothing really fits.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 24th June 2019, 06:57 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

IF you are really keen on 6 x 6 then Ilford will make 10" x 10" paper but it is to order. That would be the ideal for 6 x 6 cm. Whether there is a minimum quantity requirement is another matter.

Bill
Old 24th June 2019, 07:01 AM
Friend

I don't print larger than 10x8 and if I want a smaller size I cut down to 6x8 or even 7x5 or 7.5x5, which will take all of a 35mm neg without cropping anything off the long side though I crop often.
I trim with a rotary guillotine marked with inches and millimetres and with black figures on white so shows up under safelighting.
In the past I bought lots of discounted large sizes but ended up cutting them down to 10x8 with the exception of 9.5x12 which I still have a lot of and trim to various sizes.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies