Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th March 2018, 01:43 PM
Friend

Default Art 300 paper sample?

Hi,

I'm wondering about Art 300 - I'd like to try it but the smallest box is still pretty expensive, and never having seen any I don't want to buy a box and waste it...

Does anyone have anything - even an old test strip - they could pop in an envelope?

Jez
Old 13th March 2018, 02:20 PM
Friend

I can probably find you a 10x8. It's a lovely paper if you don't mind the price! Send me a PM.

Rob
Old 13th March 2018, 02:21 PM
Friend

Hi Jez, I use Art 300 quite a lot, lovely art paper, I have just had a look but I threw out my darkroom bin yesterday (rubbish bay here) and so I haven't even a discarded sheet, but for the right subject it can't be beaten, I have recently done a set of Victorian looking prints of a Victorian Christmas event held here last December, and it was the Ideal paper, almost triple weight,matt, with a warm tone emulsion,the surface reminds me of a drawing paper, and while expensive worth the cost for the right photograph
Richard
Old 13th March 2018, 02:46 PM
Friend

Thanks all. I'm thinking of doing medium format 6x6 contact prints and float mounting them. I'd probably use 4x5" paper which would mean buying 8x10 and cutting them in quarter. But a box of 50 sheets is 67 quid! Is it me or are Ilford prices going up daily?
Old 13th March 2018, 03:31 PM
Friend

You can get 11x14 art 300 in ten sheet packs of 11/14 for around £29, at least you can from Firstcall, It has always been one of the most expensive papers, but for the right subject worth it, Ideal for retro style portraits,still life, and for certain types of landscape, but it doesn't work for everything, for general work you are better using MG Classic,
Richard
Old 13th March 2018, 05:38 PM
Friend

I have a box of 10 x 8 which I don't use very often, I could send you a few sheets to try. It's about 7 years old but it has been kept in a fridge so it should be OK. If you would like a sample send me a PM.

Tony
Old 13th March 2018, 05:51 PM
Friend

Thanks, that's very kind, Tony and Rob you have PMs.
Old 13th March 2018, 07:53 PM
Friend

I like the sound of 6x6 contacts! I made a contact sheet of some couples portraits from my Wife’s birthday last year. Everyone was in bow ties and ball gowns. Before I could print any enlargements, the contacts had been separated and framed. They look great. Art 300 6x6s would look good without glass over them. You need to see the surface texture. You should check eBay for prices. You can sometimes find paper bargains, including from our sponsors. I saw Foma Chamois, and Nature, on special recently. They are also superb papers if you want something special. The Ilford/Harman online shop was also good for offers.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 13th March 2018, 08:59 PM
Friend

Alex, so far I've been pretty conservative with papers types and stuck with Ilford. Partly because I like them and partly financial reasons - I can't afford to experiment too much. I've discovered I love Classic Matt so much I'm just doing everything in that, which is a great learning experience.

When I want glossy I've been using Cooltone FB. I have also picked up a few online bargains but I've stopped doing that as actually its not a saving when I'm just playing with it!

I love 6x6 contacts. You have to pick the right subject.

I've also had good deals from Harman offers, but unfortunately you have to have the cash to buy big when they come up. Now I'm getting to know what I like I may start doing that.
Old 13th March 2018, 11:08 PM
Friend

The one thing which spoils Art 300 paper for me is the slight sheen; it looks as if it's been brushed with egg white. If only it could have the texture, combined with a complete lack of shine like FB Classic Matt (my favourite paper when I can be bothered with the laborious washing procedure).
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies