Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th July 2019, 09:11 PM
Friend

Default Rolleicord viewing screen

The Rolleicord I have is a Vb which has a Rollei branded plastic viewing screen. When I bought it, the screen was fitted with the shiny side upwards, and the ‘ground’ side facing the mirror. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct orientation? I only ask, because I turned it over tonight, and it appears to give a better image. If it’s the wrong way round, however, I suspect the focus will be off. Thanks.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 5th July 2019, 10:32 PM
Friend

as far as I know all focusing screens are smooth shinny side up and the ground marked side down .good luck
Old 5th July 2019, 10:54 PM
Friend

Paul is correct. Alex, look at your 5x4 camera for corroboration.
Old 6th July 2019, 07:01 AM
Friend

In both of my Rolleicords the screen's are fitted shiny side up, same on my 2 Flex's and my Microcords, although one of my Microcords has the standard ground glass and my second has a Rick Oleson screen
Richard
Old 6th July 2019, 09:19 AM
Friend

All focus screens have their ground side towards the lens.

The Microcord screens are always rather dim like all MPP screens, I have made brighter.

I bought a Chinese screen about 10 years ago for my Yashicamat 124 it's ended up in my Microcord and is significantly brighter and easier to use. They fit Rolleicords as well.

Ian
Old 6th July 2019, 10:03 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
All focus screens have their ground side towards the lens.

The Microcord screens are always rather dim like all MPP screens, I have made brighter.

I bought a Chinese screen about 10 years ago for my Yashicamat 124 it's ended up in my Microcord and is significantly brighter and easier to use. They fit Rolleicords as well.

Ian
I agree about the Microcord screens, the original is very dim indeed in my 1 1/2, but the 2 has the Oleson replacement screen and is very much brighter, they also fit Rolleicords and Rolleiflex
Richard
Old 6th July 2019, 11:12 AM
Friend

Thanks, everyone! It’s now sitting shiny side up. I will look into the Chinese replacement. The original is well worn.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 6th July 2019, 01:05 PM
Friend

my son has or is going to order me one for my yashica mat so if it comes and I fit it I will let you know ,I have never been mad on split screen focusing so it is going to be very interesting ,really there was no need to buy the yashica as my other medium format cameras are a lot better ,but I think I do these things just to muck about with different cameras .
Old 6th July 2019, 01:18 PM
Friend

Just curiosity on my part but while it is confirmed that shiny side up is correct what happens to the focus if the screen is reversed and why might it be that reversing it makes the image better?

Is it as simple as the fact that Alex' shiny side is now below standard and a screen with a good shiny side should not give a better image reversed?

On the surface and if reversing it doesn't affect focus then Alex has a win/win on his hands by doing what he did.

Mike
Old 6th July 2019, 02:04 PM
Friend

Mike, I believe the difference in focus is the thickness of the glass. So around 2-3mm at the plane of focus.
Perhaps reversed, it's brighter focusing on the upper side of the glass rather than through the glass focusing on the underside?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies