Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st July 2010, 02:50 PM
Friend

Default Steve McCurry Exhibition - Waterhall Gallery, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery

I was able to visit the above yesterday and well worth the effort it was too. Steve McCurry was the photographer who took the famous "Afghan Girl" shot in the refugee camp in Peshawar in the eighties during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan.

He must have something approaching 50 pictures in the gallery, mainly of the Afghan conflict but others from South East Asia.

All are colour, all those taken in the 80's and early 90's on film with some from 2000 taken on ???(see below)

Some have been blown up to as much as 5 x4 feet but the quality is superb from what I assume to 35mm negs.

There is a video worth watching as well describing his quest to find the girl again. When he finds her again he is allowed to take her picture once more and for the fleeting few seconds where you see him set up the camera I thought I caught a glimpse of a film back with film being loaded as opposed to a digital one.

If anyone else has been or goes I'd be grateful to hear other impressions on what he used.

I can't find anything on google or even his own website that indicates what his camera was back in the 80's or is now.

The exhibition runs until 17 October but is not scheduled to go anywhere else so its Brum or nothing.

The Museum and Art Gallery is about 10 mins easy walk from New Street Station and as there were four of us ,Midland Trains had a 4 travel for the price of 2 deal so from Rugby it was only just over £4 each return. Now that's value for money even for a Scotsman:

If you have all day try the Jewellery Quarter Museum as well. A great tour around the workshop with a guide who could be in show business.

So a great day out all round as you will have gathered.

Mike
Old 31st July 2010, 03:57 PM
Friend

I understand him to have shot most of the pictures on Kodachrome. I saw the exhibition and enjoyed it.
Old 31st July 2010, 06:01 PM
Friend

Thanks fir the info Keith. I have since been able to ascertain a few more facts via Wikipedia. It appears it was Kodachrome with a Nikon(were there any other cameras for photojournalists then ?) FM2.

Still leaves the question of: did he use film for the recent re-take, if so what film. Might have been Kodachrome I suppose. It appears to be the sort of stuff where its a case of "once a user, always a user".

However I just didn't have any time left to sit through the video again.

Mike
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:56 AM
Friend

I visited the exhibition on saturday and it is BRILLIANT. Before my wife and I got to the museum, we called in at HMV and bought a copy of "Search for the Afghan Girl" (from National Geographic).

Steve was a long term user of the FM2 but, in the DVD, he's using an F100 and I think I also saw an F5 (but can't confirm this 100%)

A year or so back, I think I remember an article in Amateur Photographer which showed Steve McCurry using one of the new digital Hasselblads.
Old 3rd August 2010, 01:48 PM
Friend

Thanks Paul. So it looks as if he did the re-take with a film camera as I suspected. I suppose that even if he has moved to the other kind of camera it still makes sense to have two slides of the same shot taken all those years apart - paired as it were in the same medium

Well it would make sense to my way of looking at things even if I had moved to the other side.

Mike
Old 3rd August 2010, 06:22 PM
Friend

I would love to go and see this!
I studied his work as part of my college work last year - I was in awe.

I'm going to try and get there!

RB67 Pro S
Canon EOS 30
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies