Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th December 2013, 04:24 PM
Friend

Default Canon T-90 tip

Hi there.
While reading the thread "Too much gear", yes I'm affected by that syndrome too, I thought of digging out my T-90 and test it after a long time of inactivity. Well, I switched it on and everything looked fine except the shutter refused to fire. This camera is known for not liking to stay neglected for too much time... After all tests of routine, I was a bit worried and almost by chance I pressed and then released the stopdown button. Bingo! The shutter was now firing again but the winding motor was stalling leaving the camera stuck with an "eee" screen. Removing the battery pack did reset the camera but the stalling problem presented again. After a few cycles of firing the shutter, motor stall and battery flip out it finally started to work properly again, so far. For good measure I fired a long burst in continous mode and now everything looks fine again... Now I need to take it out for a spin more often, or remember to dry fire it on a regular basis when not loaded.
I hope this might be helpful to every T-90 owner who were to encounter this problem.

Cheers, M.
Old 19th December 2013, 04:48 PM
Friend

Ummm...right...good thinking indeed. But when a dude has more old cameras than there days of the month, it's hard to get to every one of them on a regular basis. I'm organizing my photo stuff and have learned I have cameras I didn't know I had. But these film cameras are old friends and one cannot just write them off one's Christmas list, can one?
Old 20th December 2013, 03:18 PM
Friend

I have a T90 on loan from a new 'Lady Member' of my Club --well, the battery compartment was all corroded when I saw it at Club -- I manged to get it out and clean it with a toothbrush -- I put in some batteries and it worked ! I will tell her to USE the T90 NOT the 'digital compact' she has at the moment ! Just as an addtition : another Lady Member has her deceased Husband's PENTAX 645 as new in box with mint lens -- BUT he died in 1994 and she has never checked it out - at last she let me have a look -- horrors -!! All the plastic battery compartment was corroded with ACID from the batteries never taken out since he died -- as I got out the plastic holder it all came away in pieces and acid was inside all around - also the Lithium battery was dead -- now it is a repair job at Pentax IF she is interested to get it working -- if ONLY she had heeded my warnings many YEARS ago to let me check it out !
Old 21st December 2013, 10:12 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfilm View Post
Ummm...right...good thinking indeed. But when a dude has more old cameras than there days of the month, it's hard to get to every one of them on a regular basis. I'm organizing my photo stuff and have learned I have cameras I didn't know I had. But these film cameras are old friends and one cannot just write them off one's Christmas list, can one?
I know, I know... And just like old friends they are, who are out there with us sharing our big passion. Can we just kick them out of our lives? Speaking for myself I don't think I could...

Pete,
I'm glad to hear you managed to save you're Lady fellow club member's T-90. You should definitely try to convince her to use it or try to convince her to send the camera to a new home .
Pity for the Pentax, another great piece of equipment. Maybe you should offer to adopt that one too .

Cheers, M.
Old 21st December 2013, 06:50 PM
Friend

Another couple of tips I have heard regarding the T90. The first was if stowing the camera for a long period, fire the shutter on a long exposure then remove the battery pack so the shutter is left open. The other was if you have the shutter sticking problem give the camera a "bash' on a hard surface. I have to say I have never had the problem as I 'dry fire' it regularly to make sure there are no problems. Touch wood it will stay that way.
Old 21st December 2013, 07:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
The other was if you have the shutter sticking problem give the camera a "bash' on a hard surface. .
We used to use a similar technique when the old B&W TV's picture used to "roll" - if any of you are old enough to remember TV pictures rolling. If all else failed a quick thump on the top of the set did the trick

Mike
Old 23rd December 2013, 07:51 PM
Friend

Mike
I used to do that on my 1980 Grundig Super Colour TV. It worked for years.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies