Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th October 2013, 10:35 AM
Friend

Default Nikon F3 question

I was using my F3 today for some shots that required longish exposures of around 4-8 seconds. I set it on auto and noted the displayed speed as 8 seconds. I put the mirror up and fired the shutter. It then seemed as if the shutter was staying open forever. I closed it by moving the shutter dial to 'A'. Is there a problem using the mirror lock-up in auto? I don't have the manual, but had assumed you could use this function at any speed/setting. Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 19th October 2013, 10:37 AM
Friend

How did you put the mirror up before firing the shutter?
Old 19th October 2013, 10:57 AM
Friend

alex mine is the same A wont work , and even when the mirror is down and if its to dark it wont work ,for long exposures you will have to use B ,or the other speeds on the dial ...

www.essexcockney.com
Old 19th October 2013, 11:11 AM
Friend

Automatic exposure readings for long exposures would be inaccurate in most cases anyway due to reciprocity failure, an exposure compensation would need to be set prior to exposure.
Old 19th October 2013, 11:53 AM
Friend

From memory, if you put the mirror up you block the light going to the meter, hence the longer exposure. meter first on manual THEN raise the mirror.

This is also why the metering won't work when you use a waist level finder cos there is no meter.
Old 19th October 2013, 12:07 PM
Friend

on the Nikon f3 the light meter is behind the mirror some of the light goes through the first mirror and bounces of a secondary mirror and is picked up by the light sensor ,when the mirror is up I think it reads the light of the film and only works with flash ,so you cannot take a reading with the mirror up,

www.essexcockney.com
Old 19th October 2013, 12:58 PM
Friend

Thanks for the prompt replies! Marc, the F3 has a seperate mirror lock-up lever. I'm concluding from what has been said that it shouldn't be combined with auto exposure. Since coming home out of the torrential rain I have had a look at the camera. I see that the depth of field button needs to be pressed in to allow the mirror lock-up lever to move. That probably also affects the metering if it is on auto. With some other Nikon bodies I have made long exposures on auto, adding some compensation for reciprocity, with reasonable results. They don't have the mirror lock, however (F80, etc). Alex

Old 19th October 2013, 01:17 PM
Friend

alex I think you will find that you cannot take a reading with mirror up on any setting ..(only can be read by the flash as it meters light of off the film when the mirror is up)

www.essexcockney.com
Old 19th October 2013, 01:29 PM
Friend

Thanks Paul. I have just found the manual online. It states that auto exposure cannot be used with mirror lock-up. I haven't used this camera enough yet to be familiar with its operation. I do, however, think it is one of the best cameras I have used to date. In hoping to spend the rest of the weekend taking many more shots with it, now that the rain has gone off. Alex

Old 19th October 2013, 02:24 PM
Friend

hi alex I have three two f3 and a f3p they are a great camera with the motor drive they are a great package and fit in the hand nicely all the Nikon f range from the f3 onward work similar to the f3 ,I do believe that it was Italian designed and is a beautiful camera with or without the motor drive fitted ,I use all my manual focus cameras with 400asa Ilford or Kodak film so I can have more depth of field and still have a fast shutter speed ,and have in focus grab shots ,the old mince pies are going a bit ..
I hope you enjoy the brake in the rain ..........

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies