Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th September 2020, 07:36 PM
Friend

I'd love to know your recipe for PanF+. It's a film I really love when it works, but when it doesn't......... I've had good results rating it at 25 and developing either in Rodinal RO9 for 15 minutes or in Stoeckler's 2-bath 5 mins in each bath. I'm open to other ideas though!
Old 8th September 2020, 08:37 PM
Friend

Pan F @ EI 25
PMK Pyro 1+2+100
20C for 7 1/2 minutes
Invert continuously for first 30 seconds, then 2 (gentle) inversions every 30s Looks like this:
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...php?photo=1917

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...php?photo=1566

I can't believe I don't have more exmples on here. I've just browsed my own gallery, and have been surprised at how many of my exchange submissions are from 5x4 negs.
Old 8th September 2020, 10:18 PM
Friend

There are plenty more in the gallery. Just search for panf.
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...searchid=93624

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 9th September 2020, 08:03 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Hi Ian-
Agfapan 25 was a really beaufiful film. I had always been a PanF user, and only chanced on the Agfa film when I couldn't find any PanF. It was so good I was tempted to switch, only for Agfa to discontinue it! It was easier to print than PanF, and had a gorgeous tonality.
Happily I now have a 'recipe' for PanF which manages the contrast without drama.
I think I have one roll of AP25 and also APX25 left. I used it in a 6x9 roll film back with my Wista 45DX, incredibly fine grain and resolution and images made the same day matched those shot on 5x4 AP100/APX100.

I did try AP25 in a 35mm camera but like Kodachrome 25 the slow speed makes hand-held work difficult except on bright sunny days, I'd always be shooting alongside 5x4 and when using a tripod always favoured larger format.

There's still some Pan F in my darkroom I ought to put them through one of mu Rolleiflex cameras.

some of the best images I've seen made with Pan F were Bill Spears images many of which have been posted on this and other Forums, He processed in Perceptol at 1+2.

Ian
Old 9th September 2020, 01:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
I'd love to know your recipe for PanF+. It's a film I really love when it works, but when it doesn't......... I've had good results rating it at 25 and developing either in Rodinal RO9 for 15 minutes or in Stoeckler's 2-bath 5 mins in each bath. I'm open to other ideas though!
Rob,
Try PanF at 25 in Perceptol 1+1. Some of my best images have been with this combination. Being in Canada, I shoot a lot in winter, and I have no hesitation using this combo on a sunny, snowy day. So the contrast is well under control (a spot meter really helps!). Gorgeous tonality. I've used PanF with APH09 1+50 and it was very good, but I wasn't keen on the tonality - too gloomy.
Old 9th September 2020, 05:29 PM
Friend

Thanks for the tips. I must get round to trying pyro developers sometime. This thread has drifted a bit from the original question about latent image but it was inevitable that PanF+ would come up. I have to say the longest I've left it between exposing and developing is about a month and it was fine. That said, it was winter and the films were in a ziplok sealed bag in my bike pannier in the garage.
Old 9th September 2020, 11:16 PM
Friend

Rob,well at least Ilford in its new guise has taken the plunge and stated that within 3 months is OK so a bit more leeway on post exposure to processing time than some may have believed

Mike

Last edited by Mike O'Pray; 9th September 2020 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Mike twice :D
Old 7th November 2020, 01:44 PM
Friend

Talking

Updating my first post on 07 September 2020, about the latent image on Kentmere fine lustre RC photographic paper.

I have developed over a period of time a few of the test strips made on the date above. Overall there was not much difference between them and the original one developed on the first day.

On Monday 02 November 2020, which is about 2 months after the strips were exposed and one strip developed, I developed one more of the test strips.

In good light the image on the paper has finally disappeared. The only visible markings are the gaps between the test strips. Based on grey scale tints, I would estimate them to be about 05% grey / black.

Looking at the strip now, I would guess that if a print of average density was made on the paper you wouldn't notice the remaining tones. On a high key image, I think you would.

Based on the time taken so far, I would estimate that in two more weeks, there will be no image left and the paper should presumably be okay to print on again, as if new.

I have a few test strips left, so I will try again in about a fortnight.

As for film, I'm not quite up to testing that... at the moment anyway.

Terry S
Old 7th November 2020, 05:59 PM
Friend

It is not just PanF that has a latent image problem.

T-Max 100 (the current Mk2 stuff on sale at present) also has problems with latent image stability.

I exposed some sheets of T-Max and put them to one side, aiming to expose more T-Max and then develop them all together.

I then promptly forgot about them for 12+ months and when I developed the sheets, found only very faint images present.

I put up posts both on here and APUG to see if anyone had knowledge of latent image stability in Kodak films - and there were no replies from anyone knowledgeable.

It was my own fault, I should have developed the film sooner than I did but I was also amazed how little information and/or data there was on the subject.

Martin
Old 8th November 2020, 04:41 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I have relatively recently developed a 120 Kodak TMax 100 film which had an end date in 2002 and had been left in the camera for 14 months before exposing the rest of the film. There was no obvious difference in the negatives from the earlier and more recent exposures.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies