Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th December 2015, 05:36 PM
Friend

Default Fuji release another new paper

Yet another paper release from Fujifilm, for process RA4 - Fujicolor Professional VELVET. (I think this is the third or fourth this year!)

This is a really exciting paper and fills a gap. The surface is a flat matt with a very low sheen (unlike the regular Matte paper that we use in the lab, which has a sheen to it.

It's just available in rolls, so it's mainly aimed at lab use - but we will be offering it very shortly, and it will be available to anyone who wants to use it in their darkroom and is prepared to cut off the roll. Sizes from 12" to 50".

We receive the first rolls on Wednesday and it will be included in our new swatch book for C-Type prints, which we will start sending out this week:

http://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/ag-swat...nts-2801-p.asp
Old 14th December 2015, 06:32 PM
Friend

Default New Fuji Paper

Sorry Matt. I will not be a customer for the new paper. Although Kodak is only available in rolls I think it is a far better paper. My experience with Fuji is it is too sensitive to time changes requiring sometimes significant filtration changes even for minor exposure adjustments.

Kodak can and does demonstrate a much wider tollerance of changes over a range of different processing conditions. My usual filtration for printing C41 film onto Kodak paper, irrespective of where the film originates is 60m55y with only very minor alterations needed if the light source present differs from 'daylight'. The only film I find that needs big(ish) changes is Kodak Ektar.

It was well worth the effort to make a rudimentary, but light tight dispenser for a 12" wide roll.

Last edited by John King; 14th December 2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 14th December 2015, 07:59 PM
Friend

Matt you know your business better than I do and the economics of this suggestion may not add up but given how much better your facilities are than all of us home users, might it not be an investment to do what at least one company in Germany is doing, namely purchasing rolls of Kodak paper and cutting it into sheets for customers and selling it at the appropriate premium.

I'd imagine black bags are not an issue but OK this leaves the question of providing boxes in the right sizes. They would not have to be Kodak boxes however

If worse comes to the worst it might be that customers would accept the stuff in black sealed bags and find their own boxes. OK the cheapest solution is a roll and DIY cutting but those with limited space and cutting facilities might well pay for cut sheets.

My nightmare is the accidental exposure of a lot of a roll in my darkroom and the waste of a lot of money even setting aside space and cutting equipment issues

Just a thought

Mike
Old 14th December 2015, 10:31 PM
Friend

Default Paper Dispenser

My design for the dispenser can be found in the forum shown under "darkroom2 and the post is dated 11 Feb 2015

My design for the dispenser has proved easier to use the more I do so. I have fastened a 12" x 16" sheet of card to the leading edge of a 13" lightweght guilotine. This card is marked in 5" - 7" -8" - 10" Lines. and all I have to do is feed the paper out of the dispenser under the guide on the guilotine to the length I require.

Apart from one accident early on where I lost the equivalent of approx 6 16x12 sheets it is relatively simple to use. I cut about 20 sheets of 12x16 at a time and store them in a Jessops paper safe. This is necessary because the close I get to the core, the stronger the curvature of the paper becomes. If left for a day or so in the safe, the return to being flat.

The paper feeds with the emulsion side down which gives it protection against the possibility of stray light from the DUKA safelight.

Last edited by John King; 14th December 2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 16th December 2015, 06:59 PM
Friend

One idea I had a couple of days ago - for anyone requiring a dispenser - is you could buy a used Noritsu paper magazine, like we use here for the Noritsu printer - because you can manually eject the paper by turning an knob on the side, cut some off, and then wind it back in again, and there is zero loss because it's rather like an enourmous 35mm film cassette.
Old 16th December 2015, 07:04 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Sorry Matt. I will not be a customer for the new paper. Although Kodak is only available in rolls I think it is a far better paper. My experience with Fuji is it is too sensitive to time changes requiring sometimes significant filtration changes even for minor exposure adjustments.

Something that is confusing with these papers - there are a number of different emulsions.

The Fuji cut sheet is Type 2 emulsion
The Fuji we use in the lab here is Type DPII

And this new Velvet is a completely new emulsion, Type F

It's interested you get along well with the Endura for optical exposure. But we will run some tests with the new Velvet Type F in the darkroom for optical exposure and see how it goes.

I think it may be worth us getting it confectioned into sheet, if it works well under the enlarger.

One of the interesting things about this Velvet is it, apparently, has plenty of saturation and contrast, despite the deep matt surface - and we suspect the reason they can do this is probably because it has a much higher silver content than the other papers - and why it's twice the price of Type DPII !!
Old 16th December 2015, 07:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
One idea I had a couple of days ago - for anyone requiring a dispenser - is you could buy a used Noritsu paper magazine, like we use here for the Noritsu printer - because you can manually eject the paper by turning an knob on the side, cut some off, and then wind it back in again, and there is zero loss because it's rather like an enourmous 35mm film cassette.
I had long wondered about this, Matt. I think you are saying that a Noritsu paper magazine can be set to both eject and cut the paper to the required size manually. As the magazine would not be part of a Noritsu machine is there a manual lever that operates the blade that otherwise would have been operated electrically by the Noritsu machine when it was part of the mini-lab processor?

If I am correct in my above assumptions it leaves only the question of how much such a secondhand magazine is, where one might obtain one and how big?

Anyone any ideas on the answers to the three last questions? Thanks

Mike
Old 16th December 2015, 10:19 PM
Friend

Default Kodak Paper

Another reason I prefer Kodak paper is, it appears to be slower, i.e. less sensitive than Fuji. I have to reduce the light output on my DUKA safelight if I am using Fuji paper to the point it is almost not worth switching it on.

With the Kodak colour paper I can increase the light output where it is possible to carry out all operations in some comfort.

Come to think about it, the problems I have been having with Fuji paper may be as a result of the quality and level of the light output of the DUKA

Last edited by John King; 16th December 2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 17th December 2015, 02:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I had long wondered about this, Matt. I think you are saying that a Noritsu paper magazine can be set to both eject and cut the paper to the required size manually. As the magazine would not be part of a Noritsu machine is there a manual lever that operates the blade that otherwise would have been operated electrically by the Noritsu machine when it was part of the mini-lab processor?

If I am correct in my above assumptions it leaves only the question of how much such a secondhand magazine is, where one might obtain one and how big?

Anyone any ideas on the answers to the three last questions? Thanks

Mike

There are lots of Noritsu bits on eBay under 'processing' or 'finishing' equipment in the Darkroom section. I don't know if the magazine incorporates a cutter. I took Matt's post to mean that you feed out a length, cut to size and retract the exposed end of the roll to make it light proof again. It sounds like the procedure for using a bulk loader for film. Presumably you feed the end into a rotary trimmer, or guillotine to cut it. I'm thinking about getting one for the rolls of RC B&W paper you sometimes see advertised.
Alex.
Old 18th December 2015, 06:45 AM
Friend

Basically the Noritsu magazines are a plastic light tight box, roughly a 16 inch cube. They can be adjusted to any size from 4" to 12". On the side there is a knob which you can turn to manually feed paper out of the box, and it appears through a felt lined slot. You could then easily cut it with a pair of scissors, and then retract back into the slot. As long as you don't retract it too far, it will eject again when you need more without you having to open the box. (in the machine cutting is done away from the mags)

The ones you want look like the attached files. If anyone was thinking of getting one, please do run it by me and I can tell you if 1. It's likely to be a good buy; and 2. whether it's the correct one.

There are other designs, but a lot of the Fuji Frontier ones only go to 10" and there are also 8" Noritsu ones.

Typical price on the used market is about £50-£100 - but you get people asking silly prices. New from Noritsu they are.....about £800

You also have to make sure they are not worn out and suffering with light leaks. Sometimes, labs get to "know" individual mags and how to get around leaks. We have, I think, 14 magazines here loaded at all times with different papers and sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noritsu mag 1.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	2451   Click image for larger version

Name:	noritsu mag 2.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	2452  

Last edited by Matt5791; 18th December 2015 at 07:06 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies