Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th October 2014, 05:31 PM
Friend

Default At long Last

I have now moved house after a long wait so can set up my permenant darkroom. It will be such a change not to have to go into the garage and share the smells with that of petrol and oil. Centrally heated, and when I have had enough my bedroom is directly over the landing!

Seriously though, it is almost up and running, I just have to make the removable blackout for the window and do a final tidy up and it's all stations GO!

The cream of the move from my old place and my new darkroom is that today I have bought a Nikon F6 - a camera I have lusted about for as long as it has been made. A roll of FP4 to get used to it before relying on it as my prime tool,
Old 16th October 2014, 05:40 PM
Friend

Congratulations!!
Have fun!

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 16th October 2014, 06:37 PM
Friend

Default darkroom

Well done! I will soon have my darkroom up and running hopefully ready for the xmas holidays. I have just done some prints for the year book selection. Working over the kitchen sink was quite a pain setting everything up and then putting it all away again.
Old 16th October 2014, 07:13 PM
Friend

Good news about the darkroom, John. Once you have settled down with your F6 a quick report on how you find it would certainly be appreciated by me and possibly others here.

I often wonder about a F5 but a F6 is another big step-up again price wise.

I don't suppose you previously had a F5, did you? A comparison between the two would be even better

Thanks

Mike
Old 17th October 2014, 05:08 AM
Friend

Well done John, I moved this year and know what it was like to be without a darkroom for a long time, but I had to go the other way from a central heated converted bedroom to a converted garage but no petrol and oil smells.
Like Mike I would be interested in your view of the F6 I have a F100 which I use for Iso100 film and an F80 body for 400 and take them out together. Have fun with your new set up.
Richard
Old 17th October 2014, 06:49 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardWarom View Post
to a converted garage but no petrol and oil smells.
I should think not. No one in their right mind wastes the space of a garage by putting a car in it!

Steve.
Old 17th October 2014, 06:57 AM
Friend

Good to see you're up and running again, John.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 17th October 2014, 05:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post

Seriously though, it is almost up and running, I just have to make the removable blackout for the window and do a final tidy up and it's all stations GO!

Yeah, that took more thought than I was expecting.
Ended up with blackout blind material and velcro, in truth though I wish I'd just used a big klonk of plywood....
Old 17th October 2014, 05:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Good news about the darkroom, John. Once you have settled down with your F6 a quick report on how you find it would certainly be appreciated by me and possibly others here.

I often wonder about a F5 but a F6 is another big step-up again price wise.

I don't suppose you previously had a F5, did you? A comparison between the two would be even better

Thanks

Mike
The F5 just didn't do anything for me. The huge battery pack built in was more weight than I cared to lug about on a regular basis. No option to remove it either The F4 which I still have is heavier than the F6 but in a smaller package than the F5 and not nearly so bulky.
The F6 is now quite reasonably priced 2nd hand. I bought mine from Ffordes for under £600 and is unmarked. As they are still (just) made in batches by Nikon service/spares will be around for a good while yet

The build quality is way above any digital camera for the same price, a lot of metal and little plastic. A good steady 'gun platform' with no discernable vibration when the shutter is released. My only gripe at present is the film chamber in the body is, shall we say cramped and it isn't straight forward to insert a cassette unless used to it.

On the darkroom window blackout. It is proving to be a little more difficult than I first thought. The window is double glazed and the central handle has to be allowed for to enable me to get the frame of the blackout up against the window frame edges. Add to that, the window opening in the brickwork isn't square so I have had to make a frame with 4 different side lengths so that it was a snug fit. The velcro fitting at times appeared to be a good option at times.

Last edited by John King; 17th October 2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 17th October 2014, 05:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
I should think not. No one in their right mind wastes the space of a garage by putting a car in it!

Steve.
Agreed but I have a BMW motorcycle in there which is worth more than my car.!!!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies