Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd December 2020, 03:28 PM
Friend

Default Minimum quantities of Perceptol stock per film

I’m testing processing hp5 tmax400 and Fomapan 200 4x5 sheets in a jobo rotary with a drum capacity of 270ml with perceptol. Do you know if 100ml stock + 200ml of water would provide sufficient developer chemistry to fully develop this quantity of film?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2nd December 2020, 05:05 PM
Friend

Same answer 1+ 1 and 150mm dev 150ml water.

Don't process Fomapan with Tmax, Fomapan needs approx 25% less development or it gets excessively contrasty. Also shot the Fomapan 200 at 100EI.

Ian
Old 2nd December 2020, 06:17 PM
Friend

I know it's not a good idea to contradict Ian Grant on the subject of photo chemistry, but I know from practical usage that you can use a lot less than 150mls of Perceptol stock to develop a film. I get results that I am always very pleased with when I develop 35mm FP4 in Perceptol diluted to 1+3. I do this in a 300ml tank, so the amount of Perceptol stock is 75mls. FP4 comes alive with this treatment.

Alan
Old 2nd December 2020, 06:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
I know it's not a good idea to contradict Ian Grant on the subject of photo chemistry, but I know from practical usage that you can use a lot less than 150mls of Perceptol stock to develop a film. I get results that I am always very pleased with when I develop 35mm FP4 in Perceptol diluted to 1+3. I do this in a 300ml tank, so the amount of Perceptol stock is 75mls. FP4 comes alive with this treatment.

Alan
Adrian was asking about a 6 sheet spiral hence the 150ml based on manufacturers 100ml per films (4 sheets of 5x4).

The 100ml of D76/ID-11, Perceptol, Xtol, etc is on the cautious side, but it depends on what you're shooting. What if there's a film or 4 sheets of snow scenes, or high hey subjects that's not average negatives so you could suffer under development with less.

Ian
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:10 PM
Friend

Hi Ian, yes, I see what you mean. For some reason I thought he was developing four sheets...And I will add that my strong preference is to photograph in strong light -hazy sunlight at least. So I am always doing reduced development anyway. So my 75mm of stock isn't too far below your recommended 100mls. and could work in favour of keeping the film's highlight density down. I would do things differently if I was wanting N+ development.

Alan
Old 2nd December 2020, 08:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Same answer 1+ 1 and 150mm dev 150ml water.

Don't process Fomapan with Tmax, Fomapan needs approx 25% less development or it gets excessively contrasty. Also shot the Fomapan 200 at 100EI.

Ian

Oh! Why not tmax and foma together?

Old 2nd December 2020, 08:35 PM
Friend

Quote:

Alan

Ah ok. I’ve found that Ilford state 250ml per film. 4 per pack!! But this is encouraging. Thanks.

Old 2nd December 2020, 08:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Adrian was asking about a 6 sheet spiral hence the 150ml based on manufacturers 100ml per films (4 sheets of 5x4).

The 100ml of D76/ID-11, Perceptol, Xtol, etc is on the cautious side, but it depends on what you're shooting. What if there's a film or 4 sheets of snow scenes, or high hey subjects that's not average negatives so you could suffer under development with less.

Ian

Good points. I’m mostly shooting gloomy woodland pics though so it may be ok.

Old 2nd December 2020, 08:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Hi Ian, yes, I see what you mean. For some reason I thought he was developing four sheets...And I will add that my strong preference is to photograph in strong light -hazy sunlight at least. So I am always doing reduced development anyway. So my 75mm of stock isn't too far below your recommended 100mls. and could work in favour of keeping the film's highlight density down. I would do things differently if I was wanting N+ development.

Alan

Also a good point. Thanks.

Old 2nd December 2020, 08:43 PM
Friend

Quote:

Ian

100ml per roll?

From the Ilford power film data sheet:

Looks like 250ml per film.

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies