Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th April 2021, 02:33 PM
Friend

Default kodak blix melted thru bottle

hi All

I had a 4x5l list of kodak ra4 blix
when i went to mix up a new batch
the sealed bottle had leaked thru the bottle
is this common ?

best

robin
Old 4th April 2021, 04:12 PM
Friend

I can't believe that the Blix melted the bottle. I often re-use them, and there is no sign of deterioration in the plastic. Maybe it was a faulty bottle.

If you need more of the part B, I have a nearly full bottle you can have for postage costs.
Old 4th April 2021, 04:25 PM
Friend

I've never heard of this happening with any chemical that photographers use.

Which part of the bottle is damaged and how old are the bottles, presuming they all came at the same time?

Whatever the age of the bottles, I'd be inclined to send a digital picture of both the receipt and the item, to the the place you bought it from, along with the manufacturers, especially if it's one of the bigger ones, as I'm sure they would want to know. One never knows if it's a one-off or not.

And how do the other three bottles look? If they look in any way of going the same way as the damaged one, I'd be inclined to rebottle the liquids.

Terry S
Old 4th April 2021, 04:38 PM
Friend

hi

It was Kodak Rt/LU blix the last pair in a 4x5l kit
the bottle with the darker concentrate
it looks like it made a pinhole behind the label
the bottle was in the kodak cardboard box sitting on a shelf under my sink which thankfully contained most of the mess
bought it last year and stored at room temperature - about 21 deg c

glad nobody else has had this happen
Old 4th April 2021, 04:48 PM
Friend

Ok, not quite as drastic as I imagined, but it should not have happened either way.

I'd still be inclined to send the receipt and a picture.

Terry S
Old 4th April 2021, 05:42 PM
Friend

Kodak chemicals all come under what was Kodak Alaris and are completely separate to Kodak still films which are still part of the Kodak empire based on Rochester New York State

This may come as no surprise to anyone here but it means that KA had sole responsibility for chemicals. KA was established as part of the Kodak bankruptcy settlement and was Kodak's offer as part of its responsibility for the Kodak, England, pension fund

KA now appears to be a form of joint venture with a Chinese company called SinoPromise so the latter bought into KA

I give this history lesson as it may or may not help explain what appears to have gone wrong with so-called Kodak chemicals

KA changed HC110 and then had problems with Xtol which appear to be ongoing so there clearly are issues with some chemicals at least

Your issue robin may have no connection and may be a one off but I thought it worthwhile giving you the background to recent Kodak chemical issues

There is clearly a deal of dissatisfaction with KA/SP on Photrio but to be fair I have yet to see any mention of its colour chemical having problems

What is the case is that in recent times some doubt to say the least has crept in about the reliability of the once proud name of Kodak in terms of chemicals

Once upon a time the "buck stopped" at Kodak's CEO's door when it was the empire of Kodak but those days have gone in my opinion

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies