Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th April 2021, 05:43 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Jev, your not using the VC head combined together with the BW head condensers by any chance, are you?
You also received the correct light mixing box(es)?

I haven't done my homework yet but both VC and colour heads normally use diffusion and therefore require light mixing boxes and not condensers.
Thanks again Marty. I was originally supplied with a mono(non variable contrast) head , and a Siriocon 50 condeser. I had asked for a mono variable contrast head which i have been subsequently delivered. I have received no light mixing box. The VC head works by having two filters , magenta and yellow in front of the lamp. They can, by means of a switch on the side of the head, be lowered into the path of the light for filtration or raised to allow the unfiltered passage of the light from the lamp to the reflector and on the conderser. The way that the filters (contrast) is varied is by means of a column and worm screw attached to the magenta filter which is in turn connected to the selction dial housed in the front of the head. Raising or lowering this magenta filter decreases or increases the amouth of magenta that the light passes through on its way to the negative , in turn increasing or decreasing the amount of exposed contrast. As discussed this should produce a uniform shade and as mentioned it does not. The principle difference that i note between this head and the non variable head is the inclusion in thie VC head of these filters and the source of the light which is from a small halogen type unit as opposed to the non VC which is provided with illumination from a pearl photolux enlarger bulb , similar in appearance to a old style domestic light bulb.

If my ignorance is showing here ,please excuse me , but i am unfamilair with the concept of a light mixing box, i am not sure if one would be necessary on this setup (?) and if so , one has not been supplied . Appologies for the wordiness of this response but i am struggling to enunciate the concepts involved in describing something that i was hoping to be far more straightforward and simple ! I will enclose photos of the VC head to see if that is of help .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3905.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	4156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3906.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	4157   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3907.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	4158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3909.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	4159   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3912.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	4160  

Old 18th April 2021, 08:18 AM
Friend

Wonderful Jev,
The VC head needs the light mixing box, 35mm and 66/67, respectively.

Simply, the BW head is a condenser enlarger type and uses the glass condensers to focus the image on to the baseboard via the pearl photolux bulb.
And diffusion type enlargers use the halogen light source BUT require light mixing boxes in order to illuminate the baseboard evenly.
I'll see if I can find some pic's for your enlarger and failing that one of my own.

Naturally, this explains the gradation in filters and extremely short exposure times.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 18th April 2021, 08:41 AM
Friend

Here's a pic of one of my own set-ups, condenser vs diffusion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PSX_20210418_103858.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	4161   Click image for larger version

Name:	PSX_20210418_103824.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	4162  

- Minor White, 1950
Old 18th April 2021, 08:56 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Here's a pic of one of my own set-ups, condenser vs diffusion.
Thanks again Marty, that clears it up very well . Monday morning will involve a short sharp email to the retailer ! (sadly a sponsor of this forum !!!) Every day in the darkroom is a learning day .

Last edited by JevCar; 18th April 2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 18th April 2021, 10:08 AM
Friend

In order to begin to print up to 6x7cm format, with both the BW condenser type and VC diffusion type heads, it appears you will need at least the following parts; Siriocon 80, Vegabox 35, Vegabox 667
Needless to say, all glass and perspex surfaces need to be mark-free. Images courtesy of the net. Best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5898B993-C83F-4922-B988-CB60E1D97C1E.png
Views:	123
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	4163   Click image for larger version

Name:	84A6BD4C-CCD4-44EE-9D9B-6A8B61EC46E3.png
Views:	127
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	4164   Click image for larger version

Name:	1F01E92E-4DC1-4B37-9789-53F418980107.png
Views:	125
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	4165  

- Minor White, 1950
Old 18th April 2021, 07:00 PM
Friend

JevCar, just curiosity on my part since the whole enlarger is totally different to my Durst M605. All I can see in the photos is one dial that seems to be calibrated in grades 0-5 just as MG filters are but I see no separate dials for Y,M and C as you get with a colour head

If there is only one dial and presumably one know to control that dial then how does this work? Does one knob move both filters and somehow alters the amount of Y and M depending on the grade you dial and presumably works in the same way as the colour head dual filtration method listed in Ilford's VC paper instructions?

Thanks

Mike
Old 19th April 2021, 04:44 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
JevCar, just curiosity on my part since the whole enlarger is totally different to my Durst M605. All I can see in the photos is one dial that seems to be calibrated in grades 0-5 just as MG filters are but I see no separate dials for Y,M and C as you get with a colour head

If there is only one dial and presumably one know to control that dial then how does this work? Does one knob move both filters and somehow alters the amount of Y and M depending on the grade you dial and presumably works in the same way as the colour head dual filtration method listed in Ilford's VC paper instructions?

Thanks

Mike
That is pretty much it Mike. The filters are attached to horizontal arms. The filters themselves are about and inch square and the sit about four inches in front of the lamp . The yellow filter is fixed and the magenta filter arm is attached to a vertical threaded column ( which is in turn controlled but the numbered dial) . This raises or lowers the magenta filter so that it shades varying portions of the yellow filter. Full coverage is 5 on the dial with no coverage at 0 if that makes sense. In addition , a switch on the side of the head lifts the filter assemblage out of the path of the lamp so that you can operate the enlarger without filtration. If i manage to get the vegabox that Marty has so kindly explained that i need i will take the whole thing apart for a good clean and will take some photos and post them here .
Old 19th April 2021, 05:47 PM
Friend

Thanks Jevcar. I had no idea that such a filter arrangement existed. If I have understood things correctly, this is not a colour head at all but is, as I speculated, an attempt to simulate the kind of dual filtration that you get given by Ilford when using the separate dials of Y and M on the 3 dial colour heads

I now understand why there is the kind of mixing of colours as you use the numbered dial

It will be interesting to see whether this dial when merging M with Y keeps the correct exposure over grades 0-5.

Unless it is able to do something which I cannot think of, then I imagine that some kind of compensation in exposure will be needed by the user

Mike
Old 19th April 2021, 06:02 PM
Friend

One would hope that there is parity between 0 to 5 on the dial an 0 to 5 in filter grades , we shall see . I get the mixing box tomorrow and have a couple of negs that I need to print with contrast so that will be a good opportunity to find out .
Old 19th April 2021, 08:38 PM
Friend

Thanks Jevcar. It will be interesting to find out the mechanism controlled by the filter dial ensures that the right lever of Y and M are inputted at each grade to get the exposure correct.

I have no doubt that it gets the grade correct but correcting the exposure over the whole range of 0-5 I think may not be possible.

However to be fair the MG Ilford under-or-over-the lens filters require one change beyond G 3.5(namely double exposure ) with the former Ilford MGIV paper but the latest paper that people refer to as MGV require much less correction. So it may be that now many years later your system of one simply dial may now have achieved or has at least got close to achieving what with former papers was not really possible

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies