Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th November 2010, 02:45 PM
Friend

Default Ilford XP2 lab recommendation.

Hi all,
I've just finished a roll of Ilford XP2 (C41) and need to get them process, print and some low res scans.
Any recommendations? I've used a well known high street pharmaceutical chain before and they came back really contrasty. Any suggestions? Ilford do a service but it's about £13 - too much for general shots.
Oh, and a white border if possible.
Thanks,

Steve.

'Thoughts & Scribbles' blog

"You look at a colour image, but read a black & white one"

Flickr
Old 28th November 2010, 03:02 PM
Friend

My local Jessops did mine. Don't know about the white border, but didn't ask.
Old 28th November 2010, 03:18 PM
Friend

Never used either but worth a look maybe.
www.palmlabs.co.uk
http://www.wedevelopfilms.co.uk/

Old 28th November 2010, 03:41 PM
Friend

I have used a Jessops branch in the past for a 120 XP2 before I had a darkroom. It did a reasonable job on both negs and prints( 7x5 I think). Not cheap but taking into account time and materials etc and recognising it is a business it probably wasn't a bad price. If the machine is run and maintained properly there isn't a lot to go wrong with C41 processing. Printing will probably be OK if there are no poorly exposed negs to be rescued and you want a "straight" print.

However I quickly realised that processing and printing was going to be an expensive chunk of my new hobby unless I could start doing it for myself.

Mike
Old 28th November 2010, 04:27 PM
Friend

I'll give my local Jessops a try, if no white border it's no big deal, just would have been nice.
I'm using the C41 stuff because I'm having a few dust issues with my 'real' black&white films.
Normally I'd process, contact sheet then print 6x4 resin coated the majority and FB any particularly special ones. As my darkroom isn't anywhere near ready yet......

Thanks,

Steve.

Flickr
Old 28th November 2010, 05:07 PM
Friend

The earlier XP1 had a great deal of trouble with high contrast -- I stopped using it for local Press work -- it was found the time quoted for the Bleach was too short if processed in an 'ordinary Tank' - the Ilford labs did their tests with a Laboratory 'machine' process and got better bleaching. XP2 Super is supposed to be better in that respect -- processing in a Paterson Tank works OK.
Old 28th November 2010, 05:29 PM
Friend

I've used my local Jessops in the past for xp2 35mm, and no complaints, they did quite a good job, at the standard price for c41 processing,around £6 over here,Richard
Old 28th November 2010, 05:39 PM
Friend

Steve,

I would try the ILFORD service as they print on real RC black & white paper and ILFORD should have good quality control. The cost is comparable with mainstream non-pro colour process & print.

Tom
Old 28th November 2010, 07:55 PM
Friend

Tome makes a good point. If it was only processing you needed then Jessops or any half decent mini-lab could do the job quite cheaply and well but without a darkroom you need prints also.

As a complete package and with the assurance of genuine B&W paper prints and the backing of Ilford, the Ilford mailer service probably takes a bit of beating.

If I recall correctly Jessops did process on B&W paper but in my case this was late 2002/early 2003 so things might have changed and it could be RA4 paper now. So if you go down the Jessops route I'd ask what paper they print onto.

Some say that RA4 paper can be compensated for to get a neutral B&W paper-like print but I have my doubts.

Mike
Old 28th November 2010, 09:33 PM
Friend

I've used Ilford Lab for RC prints from digital files and they've done a superb job. I just find it hard to justify £10.99 for 36 6x4 run-of the mill (nothing spectacular) prints + £3.00 for the scanning.
The irony of this is that several months ago I dropped a roll of 35mm Fuji Reala in at Jessops and asked for 6x4's with a White border. It took about 5 weeks for me to get them back. They chased up the lab who said it was a 'special'(?) film and was sent off. Much muttering & cursing. I assured him it was standard C41 colour. Anyway, I received back White bordered lovely black and whites. Somebody somewhere had gone to a lot of trouble to print on Fuji Crystal Archive colour paper and get me cast-free b+w's. The contrast was spot-on too! When they arrived the manager checked to make sure it was Reala and we promptly sent the negs back for some nice colour ones too
I asked the other day and was told White borders were not available

Steve.

Flickr
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies