Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st July 2013, 04:18 PM
Friend

Default Same picture different camera.

Having watched the Vivian Mayer prog on the BBC the other day. It sparked a discussion between me and the other half about camera's and whether different types bring something of there self to the pictures composition.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 1st July 2013, 04:39 PM
Friend

Mitch, I think that to some degree different camera's do make a difference to composition, certainly when using one of Tlr's I see things differently to using a eye level folder, and I think that, at least for me, there is a different look to my composition's between 35mm and MF, so yes, for me different camera do bring something of their selves to the way I see though them.
Richard
Old 1st July 2013, 05:54 PM
Friend

I think the way you use a camera affects how you see your subject matter, although I don't think that's entirely down to the camera itself. You can use a speed graphic like a rangefinder... for a moment or two... or a leica on tripod for example. I suppose we tend to choose the tool to suit our eye as well as what might be best suited to the task.
If the camera forces you to work and in a certain way then I guess you could say it brings something of itself to the composition.

Sounds like a good idea for an experiment and a magazine article.
Old 1st July 2013, 09:13 PM
Friend

also the size of film makes all the difference 35mm and 120, just the base colour alone is different and the results are so much different.
also I believe that if you enjoy using a type or make of camera that helps, its got to be more than just a machine
Old 1st July 2013, 09:17 PM
Friend

I don't know why, but to me there is something more restful and relaxed about looking down into a waist level finder. I think I feel rather less conspicuous too. These are two of the reasons I like using my TLR cameras, and why I usually use my Kiev 60 with the waist level finder and not the pentaprism. Also, the lateral reversal makes me think a little more about what I am doing.
I like using 35mm but all my cameras of that type have eye level finders, and having more exposures sometimes makes me a little less careful.
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:45 AM
Friend

For me it comes down to social anxiety and its effects on time and how I use it. When I use a 35mm and POINT IT, at someone, I feel like an intruder, with the RZ67 or C330 I slow down a little and I "feel" like people dont really mind or take no notice, when using the 4x5 field I know it looks cool and I enjoy being looked at as much as I'm looking at the scene. I also note the difference in location. When I'm in central London no one gives a monkies what your doing other than jobs worth security guards and the police. In the countryside you get a glance or two and even the odd person asking what you are doing so back to the comment on "time" yes, with 35mm its fire and move and quickly. I long ago learned how to photograph on the street by looking into the distance as my eye leaves the view finder so people think "its not them" BUT that said since I never ever leave the house without a camera it sometimes comes down to what I'm doing out and about. My F3 can be slung around to rest on my back and stay out of the way as it were but even that causes interest. Pop along to a supermarket with a camera and see how long it takes for security to start watching you walk about. Vivienne lived in a time unlike today and that time is gone. Which is a tragic shame for all of us. I'm glad to have been born in the 20th century. Oh jeesss I'm again well off topic. Sorry.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies