Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th May 2020, 03:11 PM
Friend

Default new fleebay purchase

I was looking on fleebay for a 80mm 2.8 v series Hasselblad lens ,and as I was chocking on my coffee looking at the prices of them ,I got fed up and started looking at other camera makes ,and found a Rolleiflex 6003 professional camera ,with 80mm 2.8 lens two film backs and two batteries and a charger ,it has the waist level finder .it was a bit dusty but I have given it a clean up and put two rolls of film through it that have come out lovely ,it is spotless no marks or wear or dents its mint ,it all works and it was cheaper than a Hasselblad lens . as I haven't bought a camera or lens for a couple of years I was very lucky with this on ..
Old 6th May 2020, 03:47 PM
Friend

That’s good, congrats on the Rollei
I think the lens is a zeiss and will be on par with a Hassie zeiss lens
And yes the prices of analogue photography has gone up double and more
The eBay prices are comedy gold
Old 6th May 2020, 07:31 PM
Friend

Had a Rollei 6008i and 6001 a few years ago and found them to be superb cameras. Sold them to go digital but went full circle and came back to film with a Hasselblad. They are lovely cameras but the cost is ridiculous.
Old 6th May 2020, 08:17 PM
Friend

The 6000 series of Rollieflex are lovely cameras.

Glad you have found a nice one.

Martin
Old 6th May 2020, 09:03 PM
Friend

it has some weight to it ,I think its a lot heaver than my Hasselblad 553ELX ,and when you press the shutter it sounds like a car door slamming ..all I need now is the hand grip and a eye level finder and a , 150mm or there abouts , portrait lens .I have now tested both film backs and they work well even spaces ,so I have shot three rolls of film just to test everything working OK ..and the topping on the cake I went out to feed the foxes with some food scraps ,and I saw loads of bats flying about in my garden .
Old 7th May 2020, 06:51 AM
Friend

Rolleis 600x are great cameras and the lenses are awesome.
But don't forget the batterie issues, you probably have to fix it at your own.
A 500cm or similar doesn't need anything like this.

Btw. I have and use a 501, Rollei 6008 and Pentagon Six. All have different lenses but they all have the same quality.

I like the Pentagon Six for portraits, take the Hassi for woodlands and the 6008 for technical stuff (if the battery is charged, this is really an issue)
Old 7th May 2020, 06:58 AM
Friend

Hi Paul,

I've got the 6003 SRC 1000, as you say it's a bit of a brick, I describe the shutter more as a satisfying clunk , but as you say it's not the most discreet of shutters.

Mine still has a NiCd battery pack, which still hold it's charge for a days shooting, so not had to send it away to have it recelled, did look into it and Ffordes used to offer the service, but the problem was getting it to them as at that time Royal Mail would not accept batteries.

Could do with going for a long long walk with mine round my neck, might loose some of the pounds that I've put on in lock down

Great camera though

Ian

Last edited by CambsIan; 7th May 2020 at 07:03 AM.
Old 7th May 2020, 10:06 AM
Friend

the batteries are working well I have been playing with the camera for a couple of days and shot three rolls of film and just started on another roll ,and it is still going strong when it runs flat I will try the other battery .,ffordes have a nice 6008 for sale ,if anybody is interested .My rollei is different to any camera I have used ,or owned .I am well pleased I bought it ,and its keeping me occupied .
Old 7th May 2020, 10:46 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I was tempted the Rollei medium format cameras when I decided I wanted to try MF. I was particularly attracted by the MF and 35mm back capability.

This was just after my wife had died - had I got it while she was still photographically active she would have had it off me in a trice. She was very much enamoured with MF Slides taken with her Zeiss Nettar.

I ended up with a Hasselblad 500C. This was referred to as 'your mistress' by a Camera Club friend. Later I also bought a 500CM which I couldn't resist when in London Camera Exchange looking at and buying a 150mm lens. At about this time, the original Hassi lens had become very sticky and difficult to use. This was perhaps what I used to justify the 500CM and something I had read, about the 500C viewfinder not covering the full field with longer lenses.

Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 7th May 2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 16th May 2020, 07:35 PM
Friend

I have been looking for a eye level prism finder for my rolleiflex ,the cheapest one i found was from ffordes ,i have seen them on eBay for silly money ,so i bought the one from ffordes , I got my delivery this morning ,and I am pleased with it ,as I said I like prism finders better than waist level ,and now I am even more happy using the camera ...
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies