Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th November 2019, 09:12 AM
Friend

To the best of my knowledge there is no folder that accepts a sheet film holder, they were never meant to be anything other than rol;/35mm film users, there are several that are dual negative such as tseveral Ensigns that have hinged masks for 66/645 or 89/66, and some of the older Bessars had a seperate mask for 645, If you want a cut film holder then your best bet would be a Rolleiflex, several of which had seperate backs for sheetfilm/plates, alrhough I have yet to see a cut film back for Rolleiflex's, they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth, and if you could find one it would be very expensive,
Richard
Old 30th November 2019, 10:35 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
To the best of my knowledge there is no folder that accepts a sheet film holder, they were never meant to be anything other than rol;/35mm film users, there are several that are dual negative such as tseveral Ensigns that have hinged masks for 66/645 or 89/66, and some of the older Bessars had a seperate mask for 645, If you want a cut film holder then your best bet would be a Rolleiflex, several of which had seperate backs for sheetfilm/plates, alrhough I have yet to see a cut film back for Rolleiflex's, they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth, and if you could find one it would be very expensive,
Richard

There were folders in the early 20th century that took sheet film but not roll film, such as the Contessa Nettel. Can’t think of any that used both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30th November 2019, 10:47 AM
Friend

I new of the early sheet/plate folders, never had one, but never one that used both, the ones I have are all from the late 40's early 50's and are meant for enthuediet use, according to the mauals, If there was a dual film camera then that would be considered more for professioal use, many dual format cameras but certainly noen that I know of that take sheet/roll film
Richard
Old 30th November 2019, 01:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I new of the early sheet/plate folders, never had one, but never one that used both, the ones I have are all from the late 40's early 50's and are meant for enthuediet use, according to the mauals, If there was a dual film camera then that would be considered more for professioal use, many dual format cameras but certainly noen that I know of that take sheet/roll film
Richard

The Kodak 3A apparently took both roll film and film/plate holders with an accessory back.

https://photojottings.com/folding-po...-no-3a-review/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30th November 2019, 03:17 PM
Friend

The problem with that camera is you would have to use plates/cut film only as the roll film is gone a very long time ago, Kodak made some ery interesting cameras over the years,
Richard
Old 30th November 2019, 03:21 PM
Friend

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Super_Sport_Dolly

I thought I had put a reply here but it has vanished.
2nd attempt.

Try the link above. It goes to Camerapedia Wiki Super Sport Dolly.

Halfway down the page you can see a nice old folding roll film camera adapted for slides, complete with format changing masks.

This what sparked my imagination.

Thank you to all who are wracking their brains for me.
They do exist.

Cheers all.

I have seen a couple of cameras like this years ago but had no interest in them at the time. Expensive then and unfindable now.
Old 30th November 2019, 03:37 PM
Friend

There seems to be one on eBay at the moment for £44. Search for Certo Compur Corygon and you should find it. It says ‘SS Dolly’ on the body. If you search Certo, you will find a number of their cameras and also some literature.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 30th November 2019, 03:39 PM
Friend

This is it.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 30th November 2019, 04:12 PM
Friend

A lot of 6.5x9 cameras took plates or a roll film back and may of the the roll film backs could shoot 6x9 or 6x6. I have a NIB pre WWII Rada nack with the 6x6 instert.

Of course like Bruce says there were larger format roll film camears taht could also shoot plates or cut film. I wish my 110 camera could.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies