Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > External Group Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st April 2009, 09:40 AM
Friend

Default Film Photography Workshops in Ireland

Sometime ago Dave kindly suggested I write a little about the film only workshops we do over here in Ireland. Many of you will have heard or have met us already but this may be of interest to those that haven’t. I particularly hate the heavy sell of modern times so please accept my assurance this is not that kindof spam.

Anyway, FP Workshops was formed by myself and my friend Peter after I’d brought over some renowned printers to give some workshops. Being frustrated with the lack of film photography training in Ireland and seeing our cherished medium decline we decided get involved in organising workshops for film photographers.

We quickly established quite early on that there was in fact a small market here for film. We noticed many film only photographers and printers were keen to try to learn some new techniques and to see how others made their prints. So we set about creating a program for intermediate and advanced level photographers. We also went about connecting with photographers that had switched to digital but missed the creativity of hand made prints, and we started re-introducing them to the red-light district with a series of open days and introductory workshops. While doing so we made it very easy for digital photographers who were curious about film to get their hands wet and our open days and introductory workshops started to fill with a mix of returning printers and newbies.

In addition to open days, beginners workshops and advanced printing, we run workshops and talks on toning, lith printing, zone system, infra-red, color printing and landscape photography. Our list of trainers includes Les McLean, John Blakemore, Tim Rudman, Brian McIlvenny, Charlie Waite, Joe Cornish and of course ourselves. Our workshops are always informal, creative and fun and there may be a pint or two of Guinness consumed (often more if McLean is in town)

Such is the take up of our talks and workshops, some of the photography shops here have told us of an increase in film/chemicals/paper and starter kits being sold. These guys are crediting our workshops for this which is very heartening for us to hear. Participants tell us they are going home to take their kit back out of the attic or are going online to eBay for an old camera.

We hope to continue with our efforts and anyone interested can follow our progress at www.fpworkshops.com

Please feel free to contact us with any suggestions or request to be added to our email list. Our address is info @ fpworkshops.com, we’d love to hear from you.

Fintan
Old 21st April 2009, 05:46 PM
Friend

Thanks for taking the time to explain what you do Fintan. I found it very interesting and informative and it is good to hear that there is so much interest in your workshops and that the shops in Ireland are doing some good trade too! I would like to wish you all the best with your venture and maybe one (day) I will be able to get over to Ireland and see you.

All the best,

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 21st April 2009, 06:12 PM
Friend

You guys do a great job with these. From my point of view it's just a pity about the small amount of water between us and the little matter of the £ to euro exchange rate. Now if I lived in say Holyhead.instead of nearly the opposite side of the U. K. .......

Mike
Old 21st April 2009, 06:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
You guys do a great job with these. From my point of view it's just a pity about the small amount of water between us and the little matter of the £ to euro exchange rate. Now if I lived in say Holyhead.instead of nearly the opposite side of the U. K. .......

Mike
No excuses Mike, there is a very enjoyable train service to Holyhead, and from there a tenner gets you to the other side, and they have trains in Ireland too.
Old 21st April 2009, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Hmmmm... http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm

Interesting... You can also fly Aer Lingus for around £40 return Gatwick to/from Dublin or £70 from Heathrow (at the moment - no idea how that is likely to change during the year).
Old 21st April 2009, 08:33 PM
Friend

Thanks for all the comments gentlemen, I would love to have you guys over sometime, if not for a workshop then a few photographs or a pint.
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:24 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
Thanks for all the comments gentlemen, I would love to have you guys over sometime, if not for a workshop then a few photographs or a pint.
That sounds good Fintan, maybe we could get something organised FADU wise for the winter or early 2010

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 26th April 2009, 09:21 PM
Friend

I've been on two of these workshops now and can attest to the fact that they are informative, stimulating and above all, great fun. Fair play to Fintan and Peter for all the work they put in to make these things such a success. Long may it continue!
Old 11th May 2009, 10:01 PM
Friend

I don't suppose you could be convinced to make it an Autumn Fadu get together perhaps?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies