Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th November 2018, 06:37 PM
Friend

Default Sinar F

Just bought a SINAR F 4x5 with a Schneider Multi-coated 150mm Symmar-S lens and 2 Toyo and 2 Fidelity film holders just dipping my feet into Large Format Photography,
can anyone recommend any good books on the subject, my first film will be some Fomapan 100 as I have used it lots in 35mm and 120mm format.
Old 24th November 2018, 07:01 PM
Friend

There’s a good book by Leslie Stroebel called ‘The View Camera Manual’.
I would suggest the most recent edition as it has useful info about different lenses. I also like a book by Jim Stone called ‘Using the View Camera’.
There are two by Steve Simmons which are also quite good.
Sinar published a series of 4 books that are useful, but can be expensive.
I would suggest that you only really need one book to give the basics. They all tell you pretty much the same thing about focus, use of movements etc. Using the camera teaches you what to do. One book I have which I personally think is very helpful is ‘ Medium and Large Format Photography ‘ by Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz. It has a lot of useful advice about loading filmholders, etc.
I collect books which is why I’ve ended up with all these titles.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 24th November 2018, 07:58 PM
Friend

I use my 5x4 quite a lot ,I have found the only problem I have with 5x4 is my sitters moving ,every thing else is manageable ,you will soon get the hang of it .fomapan is not my favourite film in small format but it surprised me in large format I found it to be very good ,the one I liked the most was the 100asa film and its cheap and you get twice the amount of film ,50 instead of 25 ..theres a lot of videos on you tube to see that will give you an idea .good luck and have fun
Old 24th November 2018, 07:59 PM
Friend

Thank you Alex
I have ordered ‘ Medium and Large Format Photography ‘ by Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz. off of Amazon for only a few quid
Old 24th November 2018, 08:39 PM
Friend

I hope you like it!
The Leslie Stroebel book is actually called ‘View Camera Technique’ and my copy is the 7th edition which may be the latest.
Alex

Old 24th November 2018, 09:36 PM
Friend

Chris - You don't mention a dark cloth or a loupe. You'll probably want a dark cloth immediately and a loupe pretty early on. You'll find them from various suppliers, speedgraphic.co.uk for example.
Old 24th November 2018, 10:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Chris - You don't mention a dark cloth or a loupe. You'll probably want a dark cloth immediately and a loupe pretty early on. You'll find them from various suppliers, speedgraphic.co.uk for example.
I have got a dark cloth with it and I have ordered a loupe of eBay be with me middle next week.

I did notice that it won't fit to my tripod at the mo as its a 3/8" thread so I have ordered a bush to reduce it to 1/4"
Old 24th November 2018, 10:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I hope you like it!
The Leslie Stroebel book is actually called ‘View Camera Technique’ and my copy is the 7th edition which may be the latest.
Alex

Managed to get a copy of this on ebay not the newest version this one is 1986 but should be okay and it was cheap
Old 25th November 2018, 08:03 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishChris View Post
I did notice that it won't fit to my tripod at the mo as its a 3/8" thread so I have ordered a bush to reduce it to 1/4"

Hi Chris, congrats on your purchases and welcome to LF photography.

I would beware the bush route. I can imagine the attraction but they are more trouble than they are worth and are notorious for breaking off and getting permanently stuck. My experience is that they are very feeble and far better would be a plate with the correct size thread and if necessary a dedicated tripod depending on the spec's of your current tripod. So a decent tripod set-up is a must for the unwieldy nature of LF cameras and the smaller screw thread plus a bush will be no where near strong enough.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950

Last edited by MartyNL; 25th November 2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 25th November 2018, 12:13 PM
Friend

I would agree with Martin about the tripod. If the camera has a 3/8” socket, the makers must have thought that appropriate. I started using my Horseman monorail on a Manfrotto 050 tripod, but it wasn’t stable enough for the weight. I ended up buying the largest Calumet model. It’s ok, but a big Manfrotto, new or used, might be better.
Alex

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies