Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th December 2019, 01:51 PM
Friend

Default Kodak Film Price Hike.

This subject has been mentioned here recently, but I am unable to find the original.
Hopefully one of the moderators can shift it to the appropriate place if possible.

I have just read a broadcast email from a photography shop.
They tell me that the good news is Kodak Ektachrome is now being made available in 120 and 4x5" formats.

The bad news is they are unable to cope with the demand for film and are going to cancel all back orders worldwide on 1st December 2019. Then on 1st January 2020 the new pricing will come into effect.
The price hike is to pay for a new factory to cope with the demands for film.

All B+W and Gold up 10-15%
Portra and Ektar up 30%
Color Plus 200 up 43%

"Bah Humbug" to Kodak.
Old 13th December 2019, 01:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
All B+W and Gold up 10-15%
Portra and Ektar up 30%
Color Plus 200 up 43%

"Bah Humbug" to Kodak.
That NOT just a small increase!!!

I wonder if this will cause people to take a look at other brands films, or do they love Kodak enough to absorb the increase?

Terry S
Old 13th December 2019, 01:55 PM
Friend

Default Found the Original Post.

"ekterchrome 120" by Richard Gould was the original announcement.
Old 13th December 2019, 02:02 PM
Friend

Hello Terry.
My only experience of business is running the tea club.

Why on earth Kodak can't take out a loan to build their new plant, I cannot understand.
To bite the hand that feeds you does not seem like good business to me. They should be wooing their customer base instead of frightening them away to rival firms.
Old 13th December 2019, 03:03 PM
Friend

This same matter is drawing a lot of attention on Photrio and based on a person called Henning Serger who writes about the state of film and other analogue film products and seems to have contacts within Kodak. the price rises will range from 0% to 30% depending on the item.

The U.S. consensus is largely to rejoice that the demand for Kodak film is at least increasing and if it means Kodak's survival and stability then its a price worth paying.

However others, mainly Europe based, take a different view. One person(Germany based) even saying that with the increased prices in one of the items it is now cheaper to get a cheap airline return ticket and buy in NY than to order the item from a stockist in Europe.

The plain fact is that the Kodak U.S. prices bear little resemblance to those in the U.K. or Europe which might explain why U.S. customers are somewhat more forgiving of the price increases

Bulk rolls in b&w compared to cassette prices have long since been a bad joke for me and with the latest price move and what Nat is saying about back-orders cancelled then my dalliance with Kodak film may be well and truly over

Mike
Old 13th December 2019, 04:36 PM
Friend

Ilford films are cheaper in the US £34.44 a box of 5x4 Delta 100 compared to £44.49 from an advertiser here,

I have a B&H (New York) account which I've not used for a while, these days they add the UK VAT to any orders they post here, then pay the VAT to the UK Taxman, it does save the £8+ collection charges from the Post Office or other carrier.

However once you add 20% to the film & shipping there's no saving compared to say Speed Graphic at £41.95 a box.

You have to watch exchange rates compared to my last US purchase in September this year (an ebay sale) we're in a better position it was $1.20 to the pond then compared to $1.35 today.

I'm not sure that it would be worth flying to teh US to buy film, however if one brought back second hand LF equipment it's significantly cheaper there and selling when back would cover the flight costs etc.

A few years ago I met up with a US APUG?Photrio member, he'd paid for a trip to the UK and France by bringing equipment over and selling it here.

Ian
Old 15th December 2019, 09:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
That NOT just a small increase!!!

I wonder if this will cause people to take a look at other brands films, or do they love Kodak enough to absorb the increase?

Terry S
Trouble is that for those of us who like to use colour negative film there isn't a lot of choice but to use Kodak products. Fuji 400H film is already way more expensive than Kodak Portra - over £17 for one 35mm roll at Firstcall! (and personally I prefer the warmer tones of Kodak film)
Old 26th January 2020, 09:14 PM
Friend

Last December I made a list of a few dealers and their Kodak film prices. I was going to compare with the new prices.
In between then and now I have had a tidy up and cannot find it any more.
Has anyone noticed any significant price hikes?
Old 26th January 2020, 09:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
Last December I made a list of a few dealers and their Kodak film prices. I was going to compare with the new prices.
In between then and now I have had a tidy up and cannot find it any more.
Has anyone noticed any significant price hikes?
from a 5 pack of kodak portra 400 120 being in and around £35 its now 47-51.

i mostly only shot this film from kodak as ive settle wth hp5 and fp4 for black and white
Old 26th January 2020, 11:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstar View Post
from a 5 pack of kodak portra 400 120 being in and around £35 its now 47-51.

i mostly only shot this film from kodak as ive settle wth hp5 and fp4 for black and white
My sympathies. Either this is the increase in price that Kodak needs to continue making C41 film in which case I'd expect Fuji to need a similar increase so its grin and bear time for C41 film prices and maybe Kodak trad B&W film as well or Kodak had decided to take advantage of what is claimed to be a big jump in demand and is charging what it judges the market will bear.

If it is right about judging the market correctly then expect to pay this price permanently with no respite. If it is wrong and demand drops enough to cause it to reconsider then you may see a reduction in price.

For someone like me such a reduction in price would cast doubt on Kodak's integrity in pricing matters and is likely to affect my view of Kodak products but I may be in a minority of 1

Judging by the chorus of "Hurrahs for Kodak" on another site then 1 may be the right number

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies