Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th June 2020, 04:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Dave, it really does depend on what it is you're going to be taking pictures of?

If studio really is your thing, then it's a monorail.
If it's out in the field and on location then it's a field camera.

Yes, both styles of camera can be used in each others domains but don't let the tech-spec's be the deciding factor. Each job has a tool and each tool has a job.
Thanks Marty.

I’m looking to learn how to work with LF and primarily this will mean situations that I can control so it will almost exclusively be used at home rather than stood in the middle of the fells. I’m conscious that not everyone takes to LF photography and I want to make the early experience as controllable as possible. If the workflow and user experience works for me and if I have opted for a monorail then I will then need to make a decision whether to sell it and buy a field camera or better still buy a field camera to add to my collection of cameras.

All the best
Old 17th June 2020, 04:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I agree with Bob about the precision, and benefit of separate movements you have with a monorail camera. I have one, made by Horseman, and it has all the basic movements.
There is usually a good number of monorails on the market, and it pays to know what to look for. Personally, I would try to get something quite modern, and of a type that is quite common. Most of these cameras would have seen regular professional use, and older models can show some battle scars. Sinar made some excellent models in their F and, more expensive P series. The older Sinar Norma is a great camera, but not as up to date. The Sinar bellows and lens panels are interchangeable with the Horseman monorails, which gives a greater pool of parts. I’m not sure about interchangeable parts among other makes, but perhaps other members can advise.
Cameras with ‘L’ shaped standards make it easier to fit the film holders in vertical or horizontal orientation.
Value for money can vary a bit, which is why it is worth learning a bit about the various models. I have the basic Horseman which I bought for a reasonable price. Not long after, a friend picked up a similar, but much higher spec version for the same price. His has an expanding rail and additional movements.
I hope this helps. There are some good books on the subject. Search for ‘View camera’ books and I’m sure you will find something of interest.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That all makes total sense Alex, thank you. I am currently reading A Users Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone for the second time. Sinar is on my list of possibles and your advice regarding some interchangeability with Horseman is very handy.

Thanks again!
Old 17th June 2020, 06:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInElland View Post
Thanks Neil, one of the things I do have is a very substantial tripod

Funnily enough I’ve also been looking at a Sinar 4x5 and a Calumet Cadet. The former appears to be better served in terms of lens boards etc from what I can see.

My aim is to buy whilst I am still “shielding” as I can’t be distracted by the need or requirement to leave the house

David,

The Calumet Cadet is a light-weight mono-rail so a good all-rounder to learn on for both studio and field work.

I have seen them used in the field several times. Also they have plenty of movements and can be found at a reaonable price.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 17th June 2020, 06:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
David,

The Calumet Cadet is a light-weight mono-rail so a good all-rounder to learn on for both studio and field work.

I have seen them used in the field several times. Also they have plenty of movements and can be found at a reaonable price.

Neil.
Thanks Neil. What about things like lens boards are they readily available/standard sized? I’m very tempted by the one I’ve seen so Have just sat down to do some Googling for more information!
Old 17th June 2020, 06:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Thanks Neil. What about things like lens boards are they readily available/standard sized? I’m very tempted by the one I’ve seen so Have just sat down to do some Googling for more information!

David,

No idea on those items - sorry.

I have a feeling though the lensbords are special to that camera - needs checking. But if you have one to copy that should be OK. Lensboards are easily made from modelling ply or sheet plastic.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 17th June 2020, 07:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
David,

I have a feeling though the lensbords are special to that camera - needs checking. But if you have one to copy that should be OK. Lensboards are easily made from modelling ply or sheet plastic.

Neil.
Cheers Neil, just been checking and found confirmation that this one is fairly straightforward to replicate:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...=Calumet+cadet

The camera I’m looking at comes with a lens board too.

Thanks for your help
Old 18th June 2020, 08:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Cheers Neil, just been checking and found confirmation that this one is fairly straightforward to replicate:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...=Calumet+cadet

The camera I’m looking at comes with a lens board too.

Thanks for your help

That's good news - enjoy and let us know how you get on.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 18th June 2020, 08:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
That's good news - enjoy and let us know how you get on.

Neil.
Cheers Neil ... I certainly will. I’ve been prevaricating for over twelves months now but finally ready to take the plunge
Old 18th June 2020, 09:14 AM
Friend

Quote:
David,

Neil.

You saw me using my Cambo Cadet in Cornwall a few years ago

Lens boards are nothing special just a square flat board with slightly rounded corners, I made some quick spares which I may well still have.

I had a De Vere Whole plate Monorail from 1976/7 until about 5 years ago it had Half plate and 5x4 backs as well. very sold but heavy. I stopped using it in 1986 and switched to a Wista 45DX field camera. I sold it for 3100 which is their true value (ex lens) and that's what I'd paid for the Cambo Cadet around 2000, I sold it for the same price.

The Cambo Cadet is OK but cheap and cheerful doesn't have the precision of the better Cambo, it was built and sold as a low budget camera for students. it sold far better in the US as a Calumet Cadet.

There are some excellent LF cameras around still at good prices it's just knowing what to look for.

Ian
Old 18th June 2020, 10:54 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
You saw me using my Cambo Cadet in Cornwall a few years ago .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................
I do remember that Ian and thanks for reminding me

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies