Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Sale or Wanted

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th August 2020, 03:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraz View Post
I have seen it but remain unconvinced it'll perform well enough. Stability concerns as well as even illumination. I can't find any review of it that actually talks about the achievable results vs. a proper enlarger.

My 4x5 is an Ebony 45su. Not the lightest and a bit too nice (practically mint) to try to hack into an enlarger like this.

If I was to get one I'd need to also pick up a lightweight Intrepid 4x5. But at the cost I could probably get a proper enlarger if I'm patient enough.
Yes, I think this is only even remotely viable if you already have an Intrepid camera (and I would do a through search on reviews before doing that...).

Good luck with the search!
Old 27th August 2020, 12:09 PM
Friend

Just for the record - a DeVere 504 will fit in a VW Polo.

You have to fold the front seat flat and the rear seats down to get it in - but it will fit.

Martin
Old 27th August 2020, 01:11 PM
Friend

There's nothing like hands-on experience Martin.

If this is the start of a competition, you can get a 7 foot Christmas tree inside a Rover 800.
Old 27th August 2020, 03:04 PM
Friend

I'm just within the M25, North of London

I'd do a 3-4hr drive to pick one up if I was really sure it's what I wanted at a good price. I have a LR Disco so no problem there. There was an LPL that went for around £400 on eBay when I started my search, kicking myself I didn't go for it.

Currently building my darkroom, I have 127cm from worktop to the apex of the attic ceiling, apparently the exact height of 504 column...its going to be close.
Old 28th August 2020, 07:11 AM
Friend

Hi Faraz.
Enlargers will show up, it's striking a balance between Urgency and Value for money. You probably won't often be printing at maximum magnification, but be aware the enlarger head projects above the bracket which secures it to the column. Google some pictures of it, side view if possible.
If your column is almost touching the ceiling the head will stop short of maximum height.
In my last darkroom I had to split the bench and put in a lower section to accommodate the LPL. When (if) I ever get my new darkroom built the bench will be lower and I aim to work seated from a wheely-stool.
I also seem to remember you need more than the standard kitchen work-top depth for all 4 feet to sit securely on??
I'll measure when I get home.
Old 28th August 2020, 09:00 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Hi Faraz.
Enlargers will show up, it's striking a balance between Urgency and Value for money. You probably won't often be printing at maximum magnification, but be aware the enlarger head projects above the bracket which secures it to the column. Google some pictures of it, side view if possible.
If your column is almost touching the ceiling the head will stop short of maximum height.
In my last darkroom I had to split the bench and put in a lower section to accommodate the LPL. When (if) I ever get my new darkroom built the bench will be lower and I aim to work seated from a wheely-stool.
I also seem to remember you need more than the standard kitchen work-top depth for all 4 feet to sit securely on??
I'll measure when I get home.
Yes I'll be sacrificing the ability to print at the larger sizes, but I rarely print above 12x16 anyway so this should be fine. The depth of my bench might be an issue, lets see...once my darkroom is built (I'm building it in my spare time) I'll be keener to get the enlarger in
Old 28th August 2020, 12:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
There's nothing like hands-on experience Martin.

If this is the start of a competition, you can get a 7 foot Christmas tree inside a Rover 800.
Respect
Old 28th August 2020, 12:57 PM
Friend

Having just finished my new darkroom, I made my worktops 700mm deep to get my DeVere to stand comfortably on it and still leave room for the fingers to comfortably work the handles.

I also bought some PTFE (Teflon) pads for the DeVere to stand on, to allow me to slide it around, when I needed to reposition it - highly recommended (from Amazon)

Martin
Old 28th August 2020, 03:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post

I also bought some PTFE (Teflon) pads for the DeVere to stand on, to allow me to slide it around, when I needed to reposition it - highly recommended (from Amazon)

Martin
Nice idea
Old 28th August 2020, 06:53 PM
Friend

Sounds like a tight fit in terms of headroom. I'd suggest a wall mounted enlarger with a drop bench for larger prints. Or mount to the rear of a bench and have a panel that drops.

That way I made large 30"x24" prints in a very small tight darkroom.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies