Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Filters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th February 2021, 04:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
I use a yellow + polariser together sometimes.

I have always stacked the filters yellow as nearest the camera then polariser - as I tend to have the yellow fitter in any case.

I find the effect different to just having say an orange in place of the yellow.

I find the difference is in the clouds mainly.

Of course yellow does not darken the grass in the same way as orange does.

I have also tried a polariser with deep yellow, light orange and yellow/green.

Watch out though - the filter factors are additive and you start needing to use a tripod.

It doesn't work in all situations but there are some where it is really quite a pleasant effect.

Looking through the viewfinder will show you want you are getting.

If I were you I'd try it in a few different scenarios and see if you like the effect.

Martin
Thank you Martin and the rest of you for your replies, just need lockdown lifting and some patches of blue sky so that I can as my wife says, "go out to play".
Old 26th February 2021, 06:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
If you're using a TLR or an SLR, you can see for yourself what tonal separation either filter gives you on its own: I presume that that is what "natural looking" refers to.
By "natural looking" what I was trying to say was, I prefer to see a sky that is represented by a tone of grey that is realistic and not too dark or too light, giving good separation between the clouds and the ground. Perhaps not the best choice of words, but skies do tend to be an important part of landscape photography and I am trying to get better at it.[/QUOTE]

Norm, you could be straying into split ND territory there? Not something I have ever tried; though I have one somewhere that I inherited.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies