Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th November 2009, 07:05 AM
Friend

Default my first FB prints

Last week was my first time printing with fibre. Wow. I'm hooked on the texture, depth and crazy drying voodoo. Not the cost, though ;-)

It was a funny experience because after opening the box, I stood there for a while next to the enlarger wondering which side the emulsion was on! I finally made a guess; then, just when I thought I was wrong, an image slowly - very slowly started to appear!

Now I understand appeal of FB.

Bruce
Old 12th November 2009, 07:11 AM
Friend

Good for you Bruce, I suspect that you have just started on the next stage of the journey.
Old 12th November 2009, 07:21 AM
Friend

Thank you Dave! I should also thank the posts from many people here on FADU that helped prepare me somewhat for the drying process! I see FB paper as a life form now. A complex one!
Old 12th November 2009, 08:07 AM
Friend

A 'life form' indeed, great stuff Bruce. Fibre paper can be trying at times but I think it is worth all the effort in the long run.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 12th November 2009, 09:04 AM
Friend

Hi Bruce - I can honestly say, that for all the effort, all the time, all the washing and all the learning, there is nothing to beat a good fibre print - it's just a shame the likes of Forte aren't around anymore - the sheer quality of a good print on Polywarmtone was just incredible.
P
Old 12th November 2009, 09:39 AM
Friend

Hi Bruce, I once printedon r.c. paper and might still be doing so if a supplier hadnot sent me a box of f.b. paper by mistake, and said it was'nt worth their hassle in returning it so let me keep the 50 shee3ts, I tried it and wow, I was hooked, tried rc since, but nothing beats a good fb print, Richard
Old 12th November 2009, 10:26 AM
Friend

Well done Bruce, you have opened the door to another area of fine print making.
Long may you enjoy the delights and pleasures FB papers can bring :-)

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 12th November 2009, 11:29 AM
Friend

I agree a new life form especialy with the getting it to dry flat when I first started using it.

Some times I forget which is emulsion side up so I wet my lips put a corner in my mouth and the side that sticks is emulsion side. Dont forget to wipe your lips afterwards makes the beer taste funny

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 12th November 2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator

In general, fibre paper tends to curl with the emulsion outside the curl (it curls *up* at the edges with the emulsion uppermost) - I'm sure people will now list a huge number of papers that don't do that! - but that is my general experience.

Glossy paper's smooth emulsion side can be seen by angling the paper up to the light from the safelight.

I am still undecided about the quality of fibre Vs resin-coated when mounted behind glass but there is no doubt that I prefer the tactile feel of "real" paper and if it is not being mounted behind glass then there is no contest in my mind.
Old 12th November 2009, 12:37 PM
Friend

You can hear which side is which - generally, the back of the paper makes a wish-wish sound when rubbed with the edge of a finger, the emulsion side doesn't. Er I think I've just described a form of perversion
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies