Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th March 2011, 12:44 PM
Friend

Default Darkroom project underway - at last!

I have been monitoring a certain well known internet auction site for ages waiting for the right enlarger to come up - they all seem to have been at the opposite end of the country and too far to collect. Happily my search is at and end - I now have (or soon will) a Durst M601 and some bits.

Not sure exactly what is coming with the enlarger - it feels a bit like christmas really.

Next job is to make my office (garage) dark - get some paper and chemicals and off we go. It's over 25 years since I last did any darkroom work - I promise to post my first effort for you all to see.

Martin
Old 28th March 2011, 01:41 PM
Friend

Good news Martin, do keep us posted on progress.
Old 28th March 2011, 05:37 PM
Friend

Two new darkrooms starting in the same day! Like is good.
Old 28th March 2011, 07:54 PM
Friend

Make that 3....
Old 28th March 2011, 08:12 PM
Friend

Well done all three. Martin with a bit of luck the seller will sort out a few extra pieces for you as well. This can often be the case when its a collection job and the seller has built up a "collection" of items.

Mike
Old 29th March 2011, 08:25 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
Two new darkrooms starting in the same day! Like is good.
Mine was supposed to have begun last year, having moved house in April '10. I did mention it then but with so many things to do it just got shoved to the bottom of the list. I've now got pages of negatives waiting to have contact sheets made.
Excited is an understatement. I can't wait to get printing again and am looking forward to joining in the print exchange rounds.

Steve.

'Thoughts & Scribbles' blog

"You look at a colour image, but read a black & white one"

Flickr
Old 29th March 2011, 01:36 PM
Friend

Excitement time - just picked up the packages. The M601 is still in the box - never been assembled. All the bits are there - just got to work out how it all goes together.

There is also a colour analyser - Philips PCA 060 - also still in its box. And a Paterson starter set (trays etc) which is in the box and looks almost complete. There is an easel as well - not sure if this was originally part of the Paterson kit - I suspect not.

So all in all not a bad start.

Now - where's the screw driver.....

Martin
Old 29th March 2011, 09:04 PM
Friend

The Philips PCA 060 is a good piece of kit. Once you have calibrated it on a perfect print then unless the neg has a predominance of one colour the PCA will produce very good prints straight off in nearly all cases and save a lot of time and paper that otherwise gets used up in test strips and correction of colour cast.

Mike
Old 1st April 2011, 01:33 PM
Friend

Let there be light! Assembled the enlarger this afternoon. The contacts on the bulb needed cleaning as did the connector for the transformer (years of attic grime to remove) but the transformer hums - the light shines forth and now we are all set to go - except for some black out material and the small matter of paper and developer!

Nearly there.

Martin
Old 1st April 2011, 11:21 PM
Friend

Hi Martin. Good luck with the M601.It is a really good enlarger. I bought one about 15 years ago and am still using it.I have also used the more recent Durst M670 and found it to be prone to slipping. The 601 has a more solid and reliable build.I would certainly recomend this generation of enlarger over more recent devices. you can fit virtually any lens for 35mm or 6x6 negs. Spares are offered quite often on ebay if you should need them. The recessed lens mount is used for 35mm and the flat one for 6x6 negs.The Ilford Multigrade filter set fits quite easily on the lens mount. I hope you get as much satisfaction with this machine as I have with mine,
Alex
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies