Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th July 2015, 02:25 PM
Friend

Default Newcastle Quayside

I have been there many times and never come away empty handed. A really good time to visit is on Sunday Morning - early - before the Quayside market gets going. If there is no wind and the tide is coming in, the river will be like a mill pond giving some wonderful reflections.
Old 26th July 2015, 03:06 PM
Friend

A nice area. I have visited the Baltic Wharf and paid homage to the "Get Carter" multi-storey car park both on the Gateshead side but then walked across the pedestrian bridge to the Newcastle side to a very moving photo exhibition of pictures taken by an ex-inmate of one of the Concentration Camps, if I recall correctly. This was all a few years ago as you will have worked out as the "Get Carter" multi-storey car park is now demolished I think.

Lots to see but just too far away for an occasional day trip.

Mike
Old 26th July 2015, 07:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I have been there many times and never come away empty handed. A really good time to visit is on Sunday Morning - early - before the Quayside market gets going. If there is no wind and the tide is coming in, the river will be like a mill pond giving some wonderful reflections.
I see no images, where are they ?
Old 27th July 2015, 05:54 AM
Friend

Default Newcastle Quayside

On the downside to this you are obliged to play 'dodgems' with the vast numbers of kittiwakes that have taken up home in and around the tall buildings. They are vile creatures and amount to being a public nuisance.!

The smell in a couple of places (Near the Tyne Bridge itself and alongside the Baltic are particularly bad). Considering that they are trying to promote the area, one would think they would take a bit more care of the appearance. Kittiwake poo in such quantities may have public health issues.

Having got that rant off my chest, there are plenty of attractive side streets where cracking images can be obtained.
Old 27th July 2015, 12:16 PM
Friend

Lived in Newcastle for four years in the early 1980's and have a lot of good pictures of the Quayside in my negative archives. My wife and I used to frequent the pubs and cafes there with alacrity. It was a great area then - a bit seedy and run down but much more interesting than it is now is now that it has been gentrified.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies