Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd August 2013, 03:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsNorthants View Post
After refurbishing my enlarger with ... a self-built l.e.d. lightsource
Hi Kevs
Tell us more about your self-built LED lightsource. I'm working on one right now and I'd be glad to swap notes.
Old 27th August 2013, 12:42 AM
Friend

been in the darkroom most of today and tonight ,I had one roll of 35mm fp4 to print up and two rolls of 120 fp4 to print up the 35mm was straight forward family and nature ,the two 120 were a first for me as they were square ,I have a 645 camera a 67 camera and 35mm camera
but the Hasselblad is the first 66 camera and it takes some getting used to I can see on the negs where I was not composing the shot properly , I printed some on 12"x16" paper then for the head and shoulder shots I made 12"x16" into 12"x12" prints I will have to start thinking square as soon as I pick up my Hasselblad and use the 6"x6negative more constructively ,I have printed up 19 10"x8" and 4
12"x16" and 4 12"x12" I have been between the darkroom and this site ,and I am knackered ,but pleased with the results .........

www.essexcockney.com
Old 27th August 2013, 07:18 AM
Friend

Hi Paul- be warned, the square format will grow on you. It suits portraits very well (check out Irving Penn, Terence Donovan, Jean Loup Sieff) and I love the way it focusses your attention on the subject. After a while you might even find the 35mm rectangle is actually harder to compose well in.
As a bonus, when printing square you can cut a test strip from the sheet of paper you're about to print on.
Old 27th August 2013, 10:51 AM
Friend

That's quite some output for a day / nights work Paul = especially when one is pleased with the final work!

Are you going to put any in the gallery?

Terry S
Old 27th August 2013, 04:26 PM
Friend

Not quite "right now" but these are my first two prints made last night, photographed just after I'd finished drying them. I'll be giving it another try next time I'm able to with a lower contrast grade and more exposure. The highlights could certainly use more exposure but I don't want the shadow areas to be too much darker than they are now.

I can see already how this can get addictive!

Old 27th August 2013, 07:05 PM
Friend

Terry S, I have been taking ,developing and printing since I was 13 years old I am now almost 60 now. if I cannot print 27 photos in 10 to 12 hours I would give up .if you want to see some of my photographs
have a look at my website, I add some new pictures from time to time .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 27th August 2013, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Congrats Paul G!

Can't remember that far back (can barely remember what I had for lunch yesterday...), but I'm pretty sure my first efforts in the darkroom didn't come out that well ;-)

Have fun, Bob.
Old 27th August 2013, 08:32 PM
Friend

nice pictures Paul well done ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 28th August 2013, 12:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
Terry S, I have been taking ,developing and printing since I was 13 years old I am now almost 60 now. if I cannot print 27 photos in 10 to 12 hours I would give up. www.essexcockney.com
Hi Big Paul,

I too have been doing printing since I was about the same age and am now 52, but would still find it really hard to print up that many of prints in that time limit that I was happy with. I could do that number of basic enprints but one or two prints I'm happy with in an afternoons session, if I'm lucky is about the norm for me. Maybe by the time I'm 60 eh?...

Terry S
Old 28th August 2013, 01:11 PM
Friend

I took some photos for a friend of there horse they were pleased ,and I took some photos of my grandson some for me and some for my son and also tested my new camera at the same time he was pleased ,I don't understand what you are trying to say I worked in a photographic darkroom for 3 years we used to do a lot more than I have done in a day ,so if you are trying to imply something ,,don't hold back say it .......
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies