Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Meetings

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th June 2013, 04:45 AM
Friend

Default Ely Cathedral:

Following on from our excellent trip to Peterborough Cathedral yesterday, a trip to Ely was mentioned and as I used to live there and visited Ely last week, I will attempt to arrange a trip there.

I am suggesting either Saturday 6th or 13th July, before the main holiday season starts. Meeting times to be discussed later.

The City of Ely is small in size and is on two distinct levels and the town with the attractions being on the higher level. The River Ouse for riverside walks, the riverside pub The Cutter Inn and railway station are on the lower level. A down hill stroll through the cathedral grounds and parkland connects the two. Not recommended to tackle this in reverse order by walking up the hill!

The Cathedral dates back to Norman times with bits added when some of the older parts have fallen down. The inside of the knave is lit by daylight from a unique 'lantern' in the roof and the vaulted roof ceiling is of interest. The smaller 'Lady Chapel' is famous for historic vandalism when Oliver Cromwell's troops ran amok with swords hacking off some of the heads of the statues and peppering them by firing pistol balls. Oliver Cromwell used to live next door across Cathedral Green where his house is now a museum. The grounds have quite a few photogenic 'grace and favour' dwellings. Also, 'The Black Hostelry' where it was possible to spend the night in a haunted house for a fee. On Cathedral Green there is an historic Russian cannon from the Crimean War donated by Queen Victoria to the City.

There is nothing of interest in the main part of the town other than to say 'The Hereward' pub offers a reasonably substantial meal and a pint for under £10.00. Ely has gone from a quaint old market town in the past twenty years into modernity and is yet another classic example as of town planners getting things completely wrong.

The riverside area is of interest but all the boats can be a nuisance. At the town end there is a flock of ducks and geese that may be of interest. The Cutter Inn may be a pleasant enough place to enjoy a pint at the end of the visit.

Timing of the trip is best done in the afternoon if sunny, say from about 14.00 onwards. Oliver Cromwell's house and the town side of the Cathedral will not be in direct sunlight.

Hope to hear from those interested and also the possibility of evening meet ups.

Alan
Old 16th June 2013, 06:26 AM
Friend

Hi Alan, will need to run it past the social secretary, but I would like to attend if circumstances allow.

Ian
Old 16th June 2013, 07:05 AM
Friend

I´ve been there as a pupil. The cathedral is great and still lives in my memory!
Would very much like to join, but it´s too far away for just an afternoon.
Good luck and good light!

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 16th June 2013, 10:12 AM
Friend

If I can I'll come along too.
Old 18th June 2013, 09:35 AM
Friend

I would like to joint you and others for the Ely meeting as I have not visited before and think it would great day out from your description but am unable to say yes to ether date. I may be able to do so closer the time if it is still arranged.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 23rd June 2013, 12:57 AM
Friend

Default Ely Cathedral visit: Would it be best to do in September.

I am beginning to wonder if I have not left enough time before my suggested dates in July for this to be popular. Obviously, it is best kept away from the main holiday season as we have our own holiday arrangements to consider and we don't really want the hordes of trippers in the way of our photography. Perhaps it may be best to hold over until the middle of September.

Lets have some feedback on this idea.
Old 24th June 2013, 08:51 PM
Friend

I'll certainly join you if I'm around but if I'm working it will only be for the afternoon. Ely is a fascinating place with loads of photographic potential.

Rob
Old 25th June 2013, 05:38 PM
Friend

Hi Alan,

Holding it over seems like a good idea to me, more time for people to make arrangements, providing I can make the new date, I'll be there.

Ian
Old 25th June 2013, 06:07 PM
Friend

I'll try to make whichever date you choose
Old 25th June 2013, 11:09 PM
Friend

Default ELY CATHEDRAL: Set for 21st September 2013

ELY CATHEDRAL TRIP

on Saturday 21st SEPTEMBER 2013

Meet up between 12.00 - 1.00 p.m. at

THE MINSTER TAVERN, Minster Place, Ely.

Up to date details will be posted within a week of the trip showing where the rail station and car parks are situated. Also included will be the route we will be taking and times for any late comers.

It will be a good idea to visit the Ely Cathedral website and The Minster Tavern website if you are eating via your search engine.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies