Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th May 2012, 06:21 AM
Friend

Default Fuji GSW690

It's funny how sometimes things creep up on you...

I'd discounted 6*9 format years ago, as to start with, I had a 6*7 enlarger so couldn't print it, and anyway, if I wanted 3*2 aspect ratio, i've got plenty of 35mm options...

Last year I got a 5*4 enlarger, and also happened to get hold of an xpan, and i've been taking lots of panoramic shots with it, and got rather excited about these wide aspect ratios.

So, walking past a second hand camera shop earlier in the week, a Fuji GSW690 caught my eye. It's now in the camera bag with it's first roll of film going through ;-)

Anyone else spent much time with a 6*9 camera, and this one in particular?
Old 16th May 2012, 07:21 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesare View Post
It's funny how sometimes things creep up on you...

I'd discounted 6*9 format years ago, as to start with, I had a 6*7 enlarger so couldn't print it, and anyway, if I wanted 3*2 aspect ratio, i've got plenty of 35mm options...

Last year I got a 5*4 enlarger, and also happened to get hold of an xpan, and i've been taking lots of panoramic shots with it, and got rather excited about these wide aspect ratios.

So, walking past a second hand camera shop earlier in the week, a Fuji GSW690 caught my eye. It's now in the camera bag with it's first roll of film going through ;-)

Anyone else spent much time with a 6*9 camera, and this one in particular?
I have the GSW690III, they're wonderful cameras and indeed nice & wide. Shoot like 35mm out the hand but with negs on steroids. Or put on a tripod come close to LF but without the backache!
I've also learned they work perfectly with IR and heavy ND filters.
Naturally there is a discrepancy with what you see and what you get, rangefinder/parallax, especially the closer you get. But you learn not to compose so tightly and with a neg that size there's more than a bit of room for cropping out the unwanted.

Have fun and hope all's well with your latest aquisition. Let us know how you get on...

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 16th May 2012, 08:40 AM
Friend

I've never been keen on 2x3 ratio formats but interestingly there is a rare 6x8 version of this camera made for the domestic japanese market - anyone ever seen one?
Old 16th May 2012, 09:36 AM
Friend

I haven't owned one but have used one and I was impressed not only with the quality of the 6x9 neg but also the build quality of the camera. It is still on my I-must-have one day list

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 16th May 2012, 10:51 AM
Friend

I have a Mamiya Universal with 6x9 backs and some lenses. I love the 2x3 ratio, and the size of the negative is great! I've only heard good things about the Fuji rangefinder cameras. Good luck with it!

Trond
Old 16th May 2012, 05:10 PM
Friend

I had the GW model wonderful sharp lens regretted selling it. I love 6x9 format. The Fuji rangefinders are great to use like an overgrown 35mm to handle.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the use or quality.

Neil
Old 16th May 2012, 05:23 PM
Friend

Thanks everyone - sounds like i've chosen a good camera. Fuji do have a habit of making great cameras which I think suit me.

I've a friend who is going on a trip to iceland later in the year, and i've a feeling this camera may take a trip out there with him!

The only annoying bit i've realised is that the built-in hood needs to be moved forward to allow you to get to the aperture/speed settings, but with the hood forward i'm going to struggle to get a cokin adapter onto the front element. I'll have a dig around and see what 67mm screw in filters i've got. An IR and an orange I guess will get me a long way...

Feels good and heavy in the hand so far, and with a leaf shutter I should be able to hand hold it down quite slow.
Old 16th May 2012, 05:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesare View Post
The only annoying bit i've realised is that the built-in hood needs to be moved forward to allow you to get to the aperture/speed settings, but with the hood forward i'm going to struggle to get a cokin adapter onto the front element.
I had the same problem with my GW670 and when I did have my filter holder on it blocked out about a third of the viewfinder... saying that it was a superb camera and would have kept it if I hadn't decided that 6x7 wasn't for me... swapped it for a Bronica SQAi!

Paul

Arena Photographers
Old 16th May 2012, 05:41 PM
Friend

well done and good luck with your new camera. its ok looking at these cameras in the shop but when you start listening to the voices in you head saying buy it buy it then your in trouble .
Old 16th May 2012, 06:50 PM
Friend

I always liked the 6x9 ratio as I do the 35mm and as a neg size it can give quality that comes as close to 5x4 as makes no difference unless the prints are absolutely enormous with the added advantage of roll film.

Contact prints are just about viewable as well. In fact all of my father's prints taken during the war in the Far East are contact prints and pretty good they are as well.

Have fun

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies