Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th May 2009, 01:46 PM
Friend

Default Sepia toning, paper not taking tone.

Hi all, bit of a new one here

Im trying to do some sepia toning for one of my students, but i cant get the toner to take to the paper after its been bleach (its not bleaching very well either)...... However the other test prints ive done are all coming out fine. Same paper, some developer and fix used, all done through the same darkroom printer.

Any Ideas?
Old 12th May 2009, 02:42 PM
Friend

Apart from a thought about exhausted bleach I can't offer much help, but I can offer a welcome to the forum, and express confidence that someone will come up with the answer.
Old 12th May 2009, 03:03 PM
Friend

Either exhaustion or contamination are likely causes. Mix fresh chemicals and try bleaching then toning the same print that you've previously used but be sure to properly wash the print first. Please let us know how you get on. Welcome to FADU.
Old 12th May 2009, 03:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les McLean View Post
Either exhaustion or contamination are likely causes. Mix fresh chemicals and try bleaching then toning the same print that you've previously used but be sure to properly wash the print first. Please let us know how you get on. Welcome to FADU.
Yeah i did remix the chemicals, i knew the bleach we had was fairly old, so binned it and opened a brand new bottle, which didnt make any difference...... Very confusing, completely stumped 2 photography teachers and a photography technician

Anyway thanks for the welcome, hopefully this will be a handy source for darkroom info as im more of a digital workflow man...... but i have to be darkroom sufficient for my job...... Im sure I can be of use to the forum somehow too, hopefully

I stuck a couple of pictures in the crit gallery for everyone to have a look at.

Last edited by sim667; 12th May 2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12th May 2009, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Is it possible the original print was selenium or gold toned? "Archival" toners like these will protect the print against a bleach.
Old 12th May 2009, 08:52 PM
Friend

Are you sure the prints are definately darkroom? If the prints were on colour paper the bleach probably wouldn't work.

Rob
Old 12th May 2009, 10:35 PM
Friend

Hi and welcome to FADU. Are these prints which were handed to you for sepia toning by a student and not prints you have developed in the darkroom yourself? If so then Rob's point may well be the answer i.e. can you be sure that the student's prints are silver gelatin and if they definitely are, that they haven't been archivally toned in selenium/gold prior to you receiving them.

If they are definitely silver gelatin and haven't been toned and the bleach and toner are fresh then I am well and truly stumped for an answer. Very frustrating it must be and you have my sympathy.

We'll hopefully and collectively get to the bottom of the issue

Mike
Old 13th May 2009, 07:36 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Is it possible the original print was selenium or gold toned? "Archival" toners like these will protect the print against a bleach.

This is a good point as we mistakenly tried to sepia an already selenium toned print recently and the toner wouldn't touch it. This is easly done when you go back on prints made a while ago (which possibly got selenium or gold toned) and try to sepia them.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies