Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th December 2008, 01:42 PM
Friend

Default Film and Darkroom User Postcard Exchange 01

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd kick off a postcard exchange for Film and Darkroom User members. If you wish to participate please PM me your full postal and your email addresses. I will be accepting participation requests up to the end of Sat 10th January, when I will email the address list to everyone. You will be expected to send a postcard to every person on the list.

Rules

1. Your postcard must have originated from a film / in-camera paper negative / alternate process (eg no digital process at any point please), but any intermediate traditional stages are acceptable.
  2. The use of computer printed address and or description labels is permitted
  3. The use of inkjet or other printers to create the images is not permitted.
  4. Participants will be required to send a postcard to everyone else participating in the exchange.
  5. The exchange is open to all Film and Darkroom User members.
  6. In order to participate you must send me your postal address and a valid email address.
  7. The collated addresses will be sent to all the participants via email.

Round Schedule

Print and Post: January & February
Round 2: Early March

Brian
Old 5th December 2008, 02:30 PM
Friend

Thanks for organising this Brian. PM sent.
Old 6th December 2008, 08:04 AM
Friend

For those that haven't participated in this sort of exchange I thought a post clarifying the printing medium is appropriate.
Whilst Ilford make a heavyweight paper postcard on resin coated variable contrast paper in a couple of finishes, they are fairly expensive. Having said that it's just about possible to get one into the postal system for less than 60p.
An economy can be made by printing two images on each half of a 10x8 sheet and use self-adhesive labels close to the picture size to reinforce the back after trimming to size.
The bonus is of course that you get one back.
Old 6th December 2008, 08:45 PM
Administrator

... or of course, print 8 on a sheet of 12x16" : http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...read.php?t=209

Count me in Brian - PM on it's way.
Old 8th December 2008, 05:09 PM
Friend

I'm going to try to use some of my stack of Ilford Postcard Paper, but if we don't get get a few more people signing up I'm not going to be making much of a dent in it.

Brian
Old 8th December 2008, 05:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I'm going to try to use some of my stack of Ilford Postcard Paper, but if we don't get get a few more people signing up I'm not going to be making much of a dent in it.

Brian
Me neither. Have faith.
Old 8th December 2008, 08:16 PM
Friend

Happy to make a couple of postcards but if there was too many on the list it would be too much of a pain. Perhaps if it were a postcard circle it might attract more - including me :-)
Old 8th December 2008, 08:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiesmier View Post
Happy to make a couple of postcards but if there was too many on the list it would be too much of a pain. Perhaps if it were a postcard circle it might attract more - including me :-)
In that case I suggest that the Print Exchange may be more appropriate for you, although I would love to see you making postcards as well. If the "pain" comes from reprinting the same image, then print different ones.
Old 23rd December 2008, 04:08 PM
Friend

As the sign up deadline approaches I thought I would write down a few tips for the postcard exchange in order to encourage a few more to sign up.

Tips
  • Pick a print that can be printed straight, with little or no burning in;
  • Once you're happy with the print, you can expose the remaining cards in a single batch and then process in batches of four in largish trays (I use 10" x 12");
  • Use a small easel, I have an inexpensive LPL easel permanently set up for postcards;
  • Print a couple of extra cards as you have spare if you make a mistake or you could send to Simon Galley at Ilford or even one off to your favorite photographic supplier;
  • If you write on the back of the Ilford Postcard paper then simply use a good quality biro. I've found some felt tips suffer from bleeding so be careful.
  • With all this in mind I think you can produce and write ten or so postcards in a couple of hours, and what's even better you get an equivalent number of postcards back in return.
Costs

The cost of producing a postcard and posting in the UK only is about 66 pence a card with 36 pence being spent on the postage and rest on paper and chemicals.

The Ilford Postcard stock can be purchased here (Other retailers are available)

I currently have the following people signed up:

Dave
Bob
Geetoo
Brian

Any more?

Brian
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:13 PM
Friend

Sign me up please Brian , I'm already signed up for the print exchange so may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb

Paul

Last edited by PMarkey; 23rd December 2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies