Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th March 2012, 10:06 PM
Friend

Default Darkroomless and hacked off!

We're having some building work done converting out garage to a 'granny-flat'. My darkroom is in the roof of the garage and I've had to disconnect the water and electricity supply for the duration of the work. The building inspector is now unhappy with having a darkroom sink above the new room and wants a new floor up there among other things. No problem (in-laws are paying for it!) other than another few weeks without a darkroom. I suppose I could just go out and shoot more negatives, but I've already got several films waiting to be developed.

I suppose a break from photography won't do me any harm and it will be worth it when it's finished.

What do others do in similar circumstances?

Rob
Old 10th March 2012, 10:13 PM
Friend

It needn't be a break in the total sense of the word, Rob. You can continue to shoot and store the films. My development and printing of films is often weeks and sometimes months behind the taking.

Without wanting to make a virtue out of a necessity, I can say I genuinely get a kick out of forgetting what was on the negs and seeing them and the prints as if they were "unknown" to me

Mike
Old 11th March 2012, 04:19 AM
Friend

I'm in a similar position. We're in temporary rented accommodation whilst buying and renovating a house. Landlord drops by without notice and finds spare bathroom set up as darkroom - windows covered over, smelling of chemicals etc.....not happy. I've taken it down for now.
I decided to spend the time using my LF camera which has been laying in a cupboard. So I'm taking the time to learn the camera, movements etc. I can still process - have it down to a smooth operation now so it's tidied up every night - a pain but better than nothing.
Itching to prints some of these big negatives though, even if they're only contact prints for now.

cheers, Tony

Tony
Old 11th March 2012, 07:53 AM
Friend

Need not have a break, try doing what I did in similar circumstances a couple of years ago, we were having a lot of work done and I had to dismantle my darkroom for a few weeks, so I got hold of a changing bag and carried on shooting the film and developing in the bathroom, or living room.
Richard
Old 11th March 2012, 08:16 AM
Friend

If you shoot medium format or larger, what about printing cyanotypes? Even 6x6 negatives make lovely little prints.
Ian
Old 11th March 2012, 08:24 AM
Friend

I would run a temporary flexible pipe and power cable up there, perhaps through a window, and carry on as normal.

Steve.
Old 11th March 2012, 09:10 AM
Friend

Seems like there are a few of us in the same position, perhaps we could form a darkroomless support group, for the withdrawal symptoms of not printing on a regular basis. I to am in the process of relocating my darkroom from my loft space to (hopefully!) a converted space in my garage. After 28yrs it is quite a wrench. Yesterday I emptied the darkroom including dismantling my Devere 203. But I can still shoot and process film, so life is not all bad. Good luck to all of you.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 11th March 2012, 09:46 AM
Friend

Go out and make images

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 11th March 2012, 01:19 PM
Friend

Rob, you could still process the film if you have a changing bag. You don't need running water. I wash film in several changes of water with vigorous agitation.

When I'm not involved with photography I turn to astronomy both visual and study. In fact I was into astronomy before I got involved with photography, it's my first love I keep thinking of buying a solar telescope so I can view our nearest star.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 11th March 2012, 02:31 PM
Friend

Dismantled darkroom Oct/Nov 2011, approx 1/3rd of living room which had been partitioned off.
Intended to move son into a larger bedroom after re-decorating same. Sons old room was then to become new darkroom.
Involved in non-fault car accident in November which resulted in a broken scaphoid (wrist).
Sons room slowly taking shape whilst darkroom hasn't even been started.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies