Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th April 2012, 08:23 PM
Friend

Default Opemus with colour head for B+W printing

Is anyone using a colour head on an Opemus solely for the convenience of setting the contrast for monochrome VC papers without having to change filters? I suppose I am really asking if it's worth giving up the condenser lighting for the convenience?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere in the forum already - I did a search but can't see anything specifically on this.
Old 30th April 2012, 08:52 PM
Friend

Mike I didn't make a note of which thread it was but I am sure there was a thread which covered the colour head v under/over the lens filters, assuming of course that I have understood you correctly.

I don't have an Opemus enlarger but I do have a Durst M605 with dichroic head. However I have just obtained a set of Ilford under the lens filters and intend to try them to see what difference they make in terms of process and results.

I think that dialling in the correct grade on a colour head and placing a filter under the lens is probably much the same in terms of effort. If anything filters might be easier.

If I have understood Ralph Lambrecht correctly and he is an advocate of using a colour head, you cannot get a colour dual fitration setting that keeps the exposure the same throughout the grade range but he gives a table of corrections to maintain a specific zone in the print. Have a look at his site Darkroom Magic.

On the other hand Ilford filters do give the same exposure for grades 0-3.5 and then you simply double it for grades 4-5 so simpler and easier on the surface.

Do the Ilford filters maintain the same zone as a constant tone as the colour filters? I don't know.

If you only do B&W and like the prints that your condensers produce then I am not at all sure that swopping the condensers for a colour head will be any improvement or at least not one that justifies the expense of a colour head.

Mike
Old 30th April 2012, 09:13 PM
Friend

The supposed convenience of a dichroic head is a slight misconception.

When you change contrast there is nearly always a change in print time required if you are really fine tuning a print. The most convenient is a vario head where one dial adjusts the mix of yellow and magenta filtration together.
The concept of changing filtration and print time remaining the same only works for a very precise set of circumstances and calibrating a colour head to know what those set of circumstances are is a real pain. And even then it is imprecise since every paper is different and aged papers are different.
So in the final analysis the only thing a colour head gives you is the ability to achieve grades between half grades and you can do that anyway when developing a print by using a softer/harder working dev or a water bath.
I'd stick with your condensor head unless you can lay your hands on a vario head (if such a thing exists for meopta).
Old 1st May 2012, 06:27 AM
Friend

I agree with the above,if you are not planning colour work then I would stay with a condenser head, and use the filters, either above the lens or below, with the meopta colour head you cannot get a true grade 5. If you want dial in multigrade then get hold of the meopta meograde head, which is the multigrade head, but TBH filters are just as easy to use, so if you are happy with the prints you are getting I would say stick with what you have.
Richard
Old 1st May 2012, 09:28 AM
Friend

Hi Mike,
I us a colour head and happy with the results.
Without knowing which method a photograph has been produced with I think you will be hard pressed to tell the difference. It all boils down to what you are happest with. I'm happy so don't worry about what maybe or not.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 1st May 2012, 02:20 PM
Friend

I have a Durst with a choice of colour or condenser heads. The Dichro head is certainly easier to use when it comes to dialing in a grade, but I found as the bulb aged, the grade settings changed. After a short time Grade 5 was impossible to get and this was confirmed by using a MG gel in the white light.

The condenser head is currently my primary choice. I find the fiddling around with MG gels to be irksome at times, but I'm starting to get the results I want.

If you currently have a condenser head, there isn't really much point in changing if all you do is B&W. However, having a colour head gives you the option of trying RA4 papers at some point.
Old 1st May 2012, 08:47 PM
Friend

Thanks very much for your comments everyone. In view of what has been said here I intend to stick with the condenser head.
Old 1st May 2012, 09:09 PM
Friend

I use a Meopta Colour Head on my Magnifax.
Alter the Magenta and yellow for grade changes - no changes to printing times
No probs
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies