Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th November 2012, 07:06 PM
Friend

I haven't actually taken mine off but I did enquire of someone who knew and was told it comes off easily. Makes moving it or storing it easier because its no so heavy at one end.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:29 PM
Administrator

I'd be a bit worried about condensation inside if wrapped tightly in plastic. Possibly better to leave a small gap at the bottom, or use cotton or similar.
Old 2nd December 2012, 07:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
I haven't actually taken mine off but I did enquire of someone who knew and was told it comes off easily. Makes moving it or storing it easier because its no so heavy at one end.
Right, done this now - you need to undo the 4 screws holding the plate which acts as tension on the rotation of the head, and unscrew the handle that locks the head at an angle, then it lifts off. This now means I can box up and store the bellows and focus mechanism.

So now all bits except the column + spring mechanism are boxed up nicely. I'm wondering if they will fit in:

http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/catalog/catalogSku.do?id=5554305&PR=QTD&cm_mmc=froogle-_-feed-_-plastic-storage-boxes-_-5554305&_$ja=tsid:11227%7Ccc:%7Cprd:5554305%7Ccat: Storing+and+Archiving%3E+Storage+Boxes%3E+Plastic+ Storage+Boxes%3E+Plastic+Storage+Boxes
Old 2nd December 2012, 07:36 PM
Friend

its not long enough. you need 56 inches ( 1422mm ). Unless your column is shorter than mine.
Old 8th December 2012, 02:48 PM
Friend

I've just taken apart my M805 including the coil spring. There was a plate on the top of the column which you remove so that the carriage just rolls up and off the column. The coil spring is merely hooked over the top of the column so once you have the carriage at the top it's no longer under tension. I remember the M800 being similar so it may well be the same for all.
I'll try the M605 and L1200 next.
Old 8th December 2012, 04:49 PM
Friend

I would be very surprised if the L1200 spring isn't prewound cos the full head is so heavy. I'll be interested to hear what happens. Good luck.
Old 8th December 2012, 10:09 PM
Friend

The coil came off the L1200 in a similar way, but be careful! It's still under a little tension at the top. Seems easy to put back together too.
All in boxes now to keep as spares.
Old 9th December 2012, 06:28 PM
Friend

Thanks for that, one L1200 now apart - undoing the four hex screws holding the head to the column, and the column comes out and can be stored.

The second L1200 however is causing more trouble - two of the hex screws are not coming out and the thread looks to have been battered in it's previous life. I'll need to cut slots to remove.
Old 23rd February 2013, 02:13 PM
Friend

I thought I'd just add a note to this thread for future reference.
I had a go at putting the counterbalance spring and carriage back on the column yesterday, just for fun, and it is not as staightforward as its removal. At you own risk of course...! The trick is take off the 'cradle' for the spring and attach the plate to the top of the column first. Then bring up the carriage - which you've already put on the column - to the top and reattach it to the spring 'cradle' which you'll have to push down on to hold in place while tightening the screws. This bit is really a two man job - and a bit of 2x4 to wedge up the carriage.
If you look at it, and think about it, you can work this out. But I thought it worth mentioning here.
Take care though!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies