Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th February 2013, 09:06 PM
Friend

Default RA4 Chemicals

It never fails to amaze me how well RA4 chemicals can keep. I use Kodak Ektacolour and I have just finished working for the evening in the darkroom and going about the replenishment of the Nova tanks. I found that the dark brown glass 100cc bottles I keep for the RA4 replenisher were all empty,but I knew there was a 500cc bottle under the utility room bench ready to be decanted.

I retrieved the bottle and the date I had marked on it when the working solution was prepared was Jun 30th 2012 - That is damn near 8 months old! The solution was as clear now as the day it was made.

I doubt very much if B&W diluted developer would last that long. The NOVA was filled at the same time as the replenisher bottle was made up so that is going great guns too. It is a month since I did any colour printing and even after this length of time the filtration was very nearly spot on, only a little cyan to correction was needed.

Last edited by John King; 20th February 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 5th March 2013, 02:46 AM
New User

I have used five year old RA4 mixed dev rep, but the concentrates don't last very well. The C lasts fine, but I've had A&B go bad in a year unopened, and ended using C for some homebrew. Packing the A&B in PETE plastic(there's a 1 in the recycle symbol over here) makes a world of difference in keeping times. Ethol LPD is the only B&W dev I've seen last when mixed.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies