Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Articles > Articles

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Herma Transfer Adhesive
Herma Transfer Adhesive
Dave Miller
Published by Dave miller
25th October 2008
Default Herma Transfer Adhesive

I was looking for a supply of roll adhesive with which to mount prints quickly. As a member of the Postal Photographic Club I need to securely mount small prints into the folders that we use to circulate our photographs. I could use my dry mounting press, but wanted something that was quicker for a single print of two. Herma make a range of adhesive products but this one seemed the most suitable for my needs.

Herma describe it as:

“A new alternative to dry mounting, this is a simple way of making a permanent bond between print and mount, using a double sided adhesive on a transfer sheet.

Transfer adhesive sheets are ideal for the creative designing of photo albums scrapbooks cards and much more besides. Providing a firm grip for paper textiles plastic films and even three-dimensional objects made of wood metal and plastic.
Clean and easy to use.”

I ordered a roll from RK Photographic (whose contact details you will find in our links page) using their excellent web site and on-line ordering, on a Thursday evening, and it was delivered the following Saturday, so no complaints there.

The roll carries the product code H1280, and is supplied as a 20m long x 31cm wide roll which cost me £30 plus £2.00 postage. This may seem an expensive way to buy glue, but it will allow me to mount at least 150 of my PPC prints, which is enough for 12 years membership. It’s mess free, very convenient, and is a similar price to heat mounting tissue; as one would expect.

It’s use could not be simpler, a suitable length of transfer sheet is unrolled revealing the adhesive surface, and the print laid on it.

Trimming around the print leaves a layer of adhesive on it, the backing sheet can then be removed, and the print laid in position on the mounting surface, and pressed into place. Job done, it was quicker to do than describe.

I can recommend both the supplier and the product without any caveats.
Article Tools

By mono on 25th October 2008, 12:38 PM

Dave,
you also may have a look to Neschen Gudy, 802, I think.
By Mark Burley on 25th October 2008, 04:01 PM

Thanks Dave - am sick of breathing in spraymount for the last twenty years.

Will give this stuff a go myself.

Mark
By Trevor Crone on 26th October 2008, 01:24 PM

Thanks Dave, seems to be a very handy product I too will have to give it a go.

Does it allow repositioning?
By Dave miller on 26th October 2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Snip

Does it allow repositioning?
No, it's a get it right first time product.
By Rob Archer on 4th November 2008, 08:55 PM

Are you mounting Fibre or RC prints with it? I find Fibre prints eventually come up with everything else I've tried except dry mounting. Also, is it archival, in the sense that it won't eventually affect the emusion or the print surface?
By Dave miller on 4th November 2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
Are you mounting Fibre or RC prints with it? I find Fibre prints eventually come up with everything else I've tried except dry mounting. Also, is it archival, in the sense that it won't eventually affect the emusion or the print surface?
I intend using it with both mediums Rob, so far only with fibre paper.
I suspect that it will be more archival than me.
I don't normally use adhesives for matting prints for framing, I'm using this product for sticking my 7x5 prints in the card folders we use to circulate our prints in the Postal Photographic Club.
By thedarkroom on 9th November 2008, 11:21 PM

I'm a bit confused here.
Dave gives a good review and recommends the product. This is great because I was in the same position myself, I'm down to the last roll and a half of the 3M and need to source an alternative. However the rating under the product listing is only one and a half out of five. If the product appears to be so good, why so low a score and where did the rest of the points suffer. I got the impression that you were happy with it and were making a recommendation,

David
By Bob on 9th November 2008, 11:55 PM

IIRC, Reviews were setup incorrectly at the beginning and there was only the option to vote 0... Unfortunately, I can't see a way to alter or delete existing review scores in the site software.

[Edit: I have switched it so that members can change their ratings at any time - this seems to be the best I can do with the software...]
Last edited by Bob; 10th November 2008 at 12:22 AM..
By Dave miller on 10th November 2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkroom View Post
I'm a bit confused here.
Dave gives a good review and recommends the product. This is great because I was in the same position myself, I'm down to the last roll and a half of the 3M and need to source an alternative. However the rating under the product listing is only one and a half out of five. If the product appears to be so good, why so low a score and where did the rest of the points suffer. I got the impression that you were happy with it and were making a recommendation,

David
Apart from Bob's explanation re this part of the software, I take the view that the rating is for the clarity or otherwise of the review rather than the product. If there was disagreement over the findings I hope that the member would say so, with a short explanation as to why.
Comment
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search