Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Articles > Articles

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Franka Solida
Franka Solida
Published by DavidH
5th February 2012
Default Franka Solida

Several years ago I picked up a couple of these cameras in two different charity shops. I only paid a couple of pounds each. The one with the uncoupled rangefinder fitted had been rather roughly treated. The front lens element had scratch marks and the catch that holds the door was (and still is) missing. As I had discovered many years ago when I bought an old Rolleicord, a badly treated lens can give surprisingly good results. I decided to use them recently and found that in both cases the slow speeds and the delayed action did not function. Fortunately, it's very easy to detach the entire lens/shutter assembly by removing the securing ring inside the camera. Then followed the highly technical operation of unscrewing the rear lens element and dribbling lighter fuel down the cable release hole. Excess fluid was repeatedly removed from the shutter blades, and after allowing an hour or so to dry out completely, full operation was restored and the rear element and then the entire unit refitted.
The period in which these cameras were made is indicated by "Made in Germany US Zone" on the back, although I believe they were originally produced before WW2 and continued after the war until about 1960. I assume plenty were sold because I have seen quite a few on sale over the years. The only lens I have seen fitted has been the Enna F/3.5 but I'm told that other lenses were fitted at different times. Although not the most expensive of cameras, they would have been a huge step up from a basic "snap" camera. A shutter speed range from 1/300sec. down to 1sec. plus B and a lens that opens right out to 3.5 gave the user a great deal of control over the photograph. For this reason, I suspect they would have been a popular choice with enthusiasts who hadn’t the means to acquire one of the limited supply of “Rolls-Royce” brands.
To avoid accidents, multiple exposure prevention is incorporated too, but intentional multiple exposure can be done using a cable release. They slip easily into a coat pocket, don't weigh much, are great fun to use, and give good enlargements if properly used. The picture of my Wife and also that of the clock tower were taken in very dull conditions with the aperture between 4 and 5.6. I wonder how many FADU contributors have and still use Solidas.
Article Tools

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Franka1.jpg
Views:	1285
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maldon1.jpg
Views:	1379
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maldon2.jpg
Views:	2058
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burnham1.jpg
Views:	1187
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1319   Click image for larger version

Name:	WIFE.jpg
Views:	1302
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1320  

By MPerson on 6th February 2012, 06:57 AM

I have a 1954 Franka Solida IIR (uncoupled rangefinder). Some history if you haven't found it already. I was fortunate to get the original manual with mine along with lens shade and leather case. A fun and simple camera to use.

Name:	2007-01-16-d2-1020341.jpg
Views:	1358
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1321

Name:	2007-01-16-d2-1020339.jpg
Views:	1214
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1322

Name:	2007-01-16-d2-1020336.jpg
Views:	1246
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1323

Name:	2007-01-16-d2-1020333.jpg
Views:	1255
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1324

Name:	2007-01-16-d2-1010314.jpg
Views:	1217
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1325

Below are all Adox CHS ART 50 asa

Name:	2010-07-10-franka-adox-chsart-50asa-100asa-diaf-006.jpg
Views:	1400
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1326

Name:	2010-08-07-r3-franka-adox-chs-art-50asa-016.jpg
Views:	1383
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1327

Name:	2010-08-07-r3-franka-adox-chs-art-50asa-018.jpg
Views:	1281
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1328
By Paulographic on 6th February 2012, 08:43 AM

I have one with no rangefinder but f3.5 80mm Schneider Xenar, Prontor SVS 1-1/300 shutter. Slowest speed are nor starting o become sticky, mainly due to lack of use I suspect as I don't get out and about as much with my lightweight cameras as I did.
I find it can wind on the film slack so I unload in a changing bag.
Paid £20 very clean including case in 2006 from a dealer in north Leeds closing down.I'd only gone in the shop for some paper and chemic whilst in the neighbourhood and made an impulse purchase. As I have a few folders (not top class though) it was the Xenar that decided it.
Writing this reminds all my Compur/Prontor type shutters need a firing.
By DavidH on 6th February 2012, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the link. I didn't know they had made so many different models. It seems then that my Edixa 35mm was made in the same factory. Come to think of it, I haven't given that an airing for ages.
Certainly all those compur type shutters need a little exercise now and again to keep them moving. I suppose I must have too many cameras, but I just can't bear to part with any of them. However, if a Franka with Schneider did come my way..........
By Richard Gould on 6th February 2012, 02:22 PM

Nice article, interesting, I have a number of folders, both 35mm and MF, from Zeiss Ikon,Voightlander, and several Ensign and I love to use them all, so different to todays cameras, you almost need a different mindset for them, much slower and gentler, cameras from a gentler age, but surperb results, Sadly I do not have a Franka Solida, but one day one will come my way, and I also could not part with them,
Richard
By Rob Archer on 7th February 2012, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the article. I was given one of these by a guy at our local camera club who was going to chuck it out as 'you can't get the film any more'!!! It's the uncoupled rangefinder version, and I can vouch for the quality of the lens, although it's prone to flare. I managed to find a lens hood and a set of 3 filters for it - green, orange and UV. It's a great little camera.

see:
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or....php/photo/630

Rob
Last edited by Rob Archer; 7th February 2012 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: missing link
By Rob Archer on 8th April 2012, 08:57 PM
Default Viewfinder for Franka Solida II?

Much as I love my little Franka, I find the tiny viewfinder window awkward to use - particularly with specs. Does anybody know of an easily-available and preferably cheap(!) square format auxiliary viewfinder that will have the same approximate coverage as a 75mm lens? Searches of the web have so far found nothing.

Rob
By DaveP on 8th April 2012, 09:13 PM

Hows about the square version of the voigtlander Kontur finder? its a strange both-eyes-open finder but they do work.

Like this (note, I know nothing of this seller, its just the first ebay search result at present):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Voightland...item4164712dbb
By TimHolmes on 30th April 2013, 11:40 PM

I've a Solidar III with a Schneider Kreuznach Radian f2.9 lens and Prontor SVS shutter. It has an uncoupled range finder.

I've disengaged the shutter so that I can wind film through the camera while the shutter is open. I must do some more of that soon as I have a load of Velvia to use up... But otherwise it's a great camera.
By Mike O'Pray on 1st May 2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolmes View Post
I've disengaged the shutter so that I can wind film through the camera while the shutter is open. I must do some more of that soon as I have a load of Velvia to use up...
Tim I have read this several times but am still lost What do your two sentences mean i.e. what does it achieve? It sounds like winding a film through the camera on the equivalent of the B/T setting but this can't be the correct conclusion

It might indicate that I am thick of course

Thanks

Mike
Comment
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search