Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th June 2020, 02:38 PM
Friend

Default HP5 availability

Just looking at the various suppliers, Silverprint, AG, Process Supplies, Speed Graphic - no one has stocks of HP5 roll film! As Ilford have suspended production, are stocks now starting to run out? Don't Panic! At least I have plenty of FP4.
Old 10th June 2020, 03:03 PM
Friend

Harman/Ilford stopped production and closed the Mobberly works early on in the lockdown,they stated they had been working extra shifts to make sure that their warehouse was fully stocked, and had furloughed the workers, I haven't heard anythiing about them starting production again, but if not then I suppose some stocks of film and paper Ect could be running low by now,in fact I have just checked with Firstcall have it down as unavailable, but Imaging warehouse appear to have at least some 120 hp5 in stock
Richard
Old 10th June 2020, 04:13 PM
Friend

I wonder how long Ilford presumed that it had to completely shutdown for? I'd have thought that it didn't imagine that it could or would have to shutdown until the Coronavirus had virtually all but disappeared as no medical/governmental authority gave any indication that Coronavirus was anything other than a pretty long term problem.

It is my understanding that factories such as Ilford can now resume production as long as it has put in place measures for social distancing, protective clothing etc so assuming we have a general shortage of HP5+ and not a problem that is largely unrelated to actual existing Ilford stock then I imagine that Ilford must be on the brink of taking the only action it can, namely re-opening the factory, albeit its required measures to keep its workforce safe may hinder the volume it can produce

Mike
Old 10th June 2020, 04:20 PM
Friend

Wex are out as well, as are Analogue Wonderland - just to name two exotic suppliers. I'd see it in Boots before the lockdown but shan't be in there for a bit.

[Edit: just checked the Boots website and all Ilford films - not just HP5 - are "stock coming soon"]

Last edited by Michael; 10th June 2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10th June 2020, 04:48 PM
Friend

I have just done a quick check and as has been said the Imaging Warehouse and Keyphoto appear to have stock but others such as Process Supplies and Ag Photographic have run out although AG does seem to indicate that it is coming. Mathers of Lancashire has stock also as has Morco

So based on this and what Michael has said it looks( as opposed to conclusive proof that it is a supply problem to the retailers and not a stock problem per se at Ilford

Let's hope so

Mike

Mike
Old 10th June 2020, 05:04 PM
Friend

I have had a quick look around, and there seems to a shortage of some sizes of Ilford paper's, certainly their classic 9 1/2 x 12 glossy seems to be out of stock in a couple of places, and Firstcall has been out of stock of the same size in art 300 for about a monyh, and on the Ilford.com site no news of them resuming production yet, I only hope that it is a supply problem and not stock problem, although at the moment I have plenty of stock of paper, but seeing that other factories seem to be opening up, following social distinceing Ect I would hope that Il;ford would return to production soon, otherwise they might lose a lot of U'S.A. sales,
Richard
Old 10th June 2020, 05:29 PM
Friend

I’d had some HP5+ on back order with AG for a couple of weeks and when I spoke to them they could not give a date for when they will have it back in stock.
Old 10th June 2020, 10:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInElland View Post
I’d had some HP5+ on back order with AG for a couple of weeks and when I spoke to them they could not give a date for when they will have it back in stock.
AG still have bulk rolls in stock for rolling your own, I do this with HP5 Plus.

Tell me DaveInElland is the building still standing in the town that has the words "Trespassers will be Persecuted" cut into the stone? 50 years since I left the town and the last time I was there it looked like someone had driven bulldozer through the town, that would have been twenty years ago.
Old 10th June 2020, 10:42 PM
Friend

The site of Mr Cad appears to have plenty of HP5.
I do not know if it is one of those sites that still advertise when the shelves are empty. I have had a couple like that over the years. Might be worth a phone call to check before placing an order.
Cheers.
Old 11th June 2020, 11:51 AM
Friend

Luckily, without knowing, I made an order just before all this virus happened.

As I'm not a very quick user of film, what I have should last me (hopefully) until things get closer to normality again.

But, if I do run out of my favourite, 120 HP5+, I have some x-ray film and quite a bit of paper to try out in both my 5 x 4 and 10 x 8 pinhole cameras, along with some LE in the salad draw of the fridge, which I get out occasionally for a bit of watercolour paper coating and printing fun. .

And then of course, I've been meaning to try out some various toning formulas, as I have all the needed chemicals. And then I've got a bottle of cyanotype-ish emulsion that I've only tried a little. And then of course, I have some really old and almost unprintable papers, that I could do some solar-printing with. Oh and then I have a Johnson postcard sized negative printer that I've never got around to trying... How the list goes on!

And of course, if all my films runs out, I, like most of us I'm sure, have a large amount of negatives that have never been printed, so I'll then spend more time in the darkroom or doing of the above ideas for a while, rather than shooting. And there was me worrying about finding something to do, once I've come to the end of things that needed doing in the garden lately.

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 11th June 2020 at 12:03 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies