Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th June 2020, 07:53 PM
Friend

Default Break out those safelights

Possible positive side effect of darkroom work or life in a submarine
https://newatlas.com/medical/deep-re...aging-retinas/
Could be a load of claptrap, though.
Pete
Old 30th June 2020, 09:03 PM
Friend

The same study has just been linked to on Photrio. The study involved almost laughably small numbers and with no control group. I am unsure whether the wavelength used at 670 nm bears much resemblance to that of a submarine nor to any red safelight in a darkroom.

Mind you I was always impressed by the transformation of the guy who used to get sand kicked in his face until he consulted Charles Atlas. I used to read that story in pictures with balloon conversations on the back of 1950s comics

I now have the body of Charles Atlas. He is going to be unhappy when he sees what I have done with it

Mike
Old 30th June 2020, 09:15 PM
Friend

Pete
Old 2nd July 2020, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Sounds like someone paid them to do some "research" - I expect a kickstarter to be launched very soon...

It's garbage studies like this (by a reputable university) that gives ammunition to anti-science nutjobs. Very annoying.
Old 2nd July 2020, 02:48 PM
Friend

As is the case with so many "studies" there are often flaws in both the methodology and conclusions. Out of thousands of such studies only a few ever reach a valid provable conclusion that can be acted upon for the "greater good"

I suspect that it was the journalistic profession rather than the medical profession which was at fault here. It was a journalistic headline looking for some semblance, albeit tentative, of fact

I am unsure how well my "dismal or at least sceptical jimmy" comments went down with the others on Photrio who are certainly more given to a "good news" outlook than I am

Mike
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I am unsure whether the wavelength used at 670 nm bears much resemblance to that of a submarine nor to any red safelight in a darkroom.
I have been using red LED golfball 'party' lights in my darkroom since last autumn and they work very well. Some years ago I purchased an educational prism for experiments with my grandchildren. I built a rudimentary cardboard and gaffer tape spectrometer with it, calibrated with a fluorescent lamp with known emission lines (Philips data sheet). The golfball lights looked to emit at close to 650nm. I have learned not to be at all concerned about fogging at high light-levels because the LEDs are super-safe. Sorry DUKA.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies