Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st December 2009, 02:41 PM
Friend

Default Hello From Shropshire

Hello everyone.

What a marvellous forum and website this is, I can almost smell the fixer & developer as I roam through the pages. It’s so lovely to be rid of digital photography, and its multitude of advertisements for the latest up to date equipment, which leaves last years camera obsolete and worthless.

My name is Carl and I love film photography (I feel so much better now I have said that!). I have about thirty film cameras, which all get dusted down and used occasionally (although not as often as I would like). My desert island camera’s would be my Canon AE1P (thanks Mum and Dad for buying it for my Christmas present in 1983, even though I do not use it anymore); my Yashica Minister D and my Voigtlander Bessa R3M, all my other cameras are nice but these mean a lot to me.

I have started a lifelong project entitled ‘how to print a decent picture’, it is a thriller and a drama that involves lots of tears, hardship and I hope a happy ending. At the moment it is having a lot of ups and downs, but I will not give up, I may just be arrested for attacking an enlarger with a set of print tongues, whilst stamping up and down on an incorrectly exposed 8x10 print.

I have recently started shouting at photography magazines. This normally comes about when someone says ‘since going digital I haven’t looked back, blah, blah’, its amazing how having a complex camera with a built in computer, coupled to another computer loaded with Photoshop software can improve your photography no end. It is a bit like saying ‘since I got Ilford master printer Dave Butcher to print my photographs in my shed my prints have got so much better’.

I sit looking at photographs by Eugene Atget, Edwin Smith and James Ravilious for hours on end, before shouting at my enlarger. I suppose I do a lot of shouting and swearing, but believe it or not I enjoy every minute of it!

Thanks again for this great website, now where is that blasted film canister opener…..

Carl
Old 1st December 2009, 02:57 PM
Friend

Great to have you on board Carl. I can certainly relate to your frustration and anger on the path to achieving the fine print. All worth it in the end, you do believe me don't you?
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 1st December 2009, 02:58 PM
Friend

Hi Carl and welcome to FADU.

I enjoyed reading your brilliant and amusing introduction and you have found the right place to share your 'analogue' experiences as we all have the same passion. I look forward to your future contributions and hopefully some prints too in due course!

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 1st December 2009, 03:32 PM
Friend

Welcome Carl

Easy, ditch the phot mags - you'll never look back

Andrew
Old 1st December 2009, 03:57 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Welcome to the forum Carl

Stop the magazines and use the money to buy film, paper and chemicals. Much better use of the money.

Bill
Old 1st December 2009, 04:14 PM
Friend

Hi Carl doesn't it feel so much better when you've 'outed' yourself!
Old 1st December 2009, 04:35 PM
Friend

Welcome aboard, Carl. I can see something of myself in your introduction. It was my dad that introduced me to photography gifting me my first camera, and I've been through the joys and pains of learning the basics of printing. It's a long and steep path but you will be eventually rewarded, so never give up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Stop the magazines and use the money to buy film, paper and chemicals. Much better use of the money.
Cheers, Marty.
Old 1st December 2009, 04:40 PM
Friend

Welcome Carl, I'm so pleased to read that I'm nor alone in shouting at my enlarger when it stupidly messes up a print, or two.
Old 1st December 2009, 05:27 PM
Friend

Don't beat up your enlarger. Why? It's the best thing you got to print stuff. That and your notebook to make notes. Shout at that.....
Old 1st December 2009, 05:40 PM
Friend

Hi Carfl and a warm welcome to the forum, I think itis a great place for the all of us film loving photographers, look forward to reading your posts and seeing some of yojur work,Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies