Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th March 2010, 11:17 PM
Friend

Default Hello.

Hello to you all.

I have been circling this site for a little while rather like the shy kid at a party, but eventually I had to introduce myself, so here goes.

I am a very amateur snapper who has been trying to reacquant himself with the dark arts practiced by members of this very intelligent web site.

I have rebuilt my darkroom and been printing again for 3 or so years with little success but much pleasure. I am fortunate to have both 35mm and medium formats and force myself not to try large format, because I know I would like it and would wind up sleeping on a bench surrounded by yet more cameras and stuff. No matter how many times I tell myself its just a light tight box, I still turn in to Gollum and "needs the precious"

I can take a nice photograph with digital, but I still cannot get over the excitement of seeing a picture emerge from nothing, its like being 11 years old every time.

Making a print is what I like, I think, and for all the dust muck ups and reprints it beats the pants off the perfection of a computer programmed technological marvel. sometimes things can be too perfect perhaps.

Please be patient with me as I am not a natural "joiner"
At some point when I have worked out how I may even post a picture!
Who knows what madness might take me?

With best wishes to you all.

James.
Old 5th March 2010, 11:26 PM
Friend

Hi and welcome to FADU, no need to be shy or nervous everyone here is helpful and a pleasure to know.
You will not regret joining, I call in here most days and have been a member for nearly a year and its always informative.

Neil
Old 5th March 2010, 11:36 PM
Administrator

You are very welcome to fadu James.
Old 6th March 2010, 12:12 AM
Friend

Welcome to FADU, James. Your intro rings bells - sleeping on a bench with your equipment for instance. The result of being thrown out by the wife with the only belongings she considers you value. :

I have carefully read everything else you have said and have to be frank. It pains me to say that all things considered you meet all our requirements for membership and as the judge used to say when donning the black cloth "May God have mercy on your soul" :

Or as Windsor Davies said to Don Estelle in "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" when the end was apparently nigh and there was one parachute between them "Don't you worry Lofty boy we'll go down together"

Mike
Old 6th March 2010, 07:01 AM
Friend

Welcome James, and thanks for the intro. You can relax here among similarly afflicted Friends.
Old 6th March 2010, 08:12 AM
Friend

Hi James and a warm welcome to Fadu,Sleeping on a bench surronded by cameras?,as long as they are film and getting on a bit it sounds like heaven to me Richard
Old 6th March 2010, 08:48 AM
Friend

Hello James and welcome to FADU. It is good that you have returned to traditional print making and that you are getting so much pleasure out of doing so. It can't be beaten in my book :-)

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 6th March 2010, 08:58 AM
Friend

Good to have you on board James.

As Neil rightly says there is nothing quite like doing it yourself, it can't be beaten.

I too have faced the fires of Mordor with the intent of riding myself of so many 'preciouses', but I always turn back in weakness
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 6th March 2010, 12:05 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Welcome to the Forum James.

Bill
Old 6th March 2010, 09:48 PM
Friend

Default Thanks.

Thank you all for making me feel welcome.

James.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies