Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st January 2009, 10:12 AM
Friend

Hi (again) David, from North Devon.

Keen to see how you get on with the darkroom of sorts. I'm on the verge of sorting my small bathroom for temporary use. I have all the equipment, just suffering with feeling that is harder to do that it probably is.

Regards
Stephen
Old 1st January 2009, 10:14 AM
Friend

Hi David, welcome to FADU and hopefully you'll enjoy returning to the fold...
Old 1st January 2009, 01:36 PM
Friend

Thanks Neil - I'll definitely check that out! I've also got 'feelers' out to Yeovil Camera Club which is much closer......if they reply to my email!

Best wishes

David
Old 1st January 2009, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Welcome David, I'm just back from a chilly -5C North Somerset.
Old 1st January 2009, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpopely View Post
Hi Bob

Thanks for the response. However, the problem is that I can't dedicate a room, even a small room or closet, to this. Is it possible to adapt a room that is in use for other purposes most of the time, using portable equipment that can be brought out and stored away afterwards?

David
Indeed it is - I suspect that most people started using a bathroom or similar temporary premises. I see Dave has started a new thread on this very subject so I'll direct you there - http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...read.php?t=453

Good luck, Bob.
Old 1st January 2009, 07:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpopely View Post
Thanks Neil - I'll definitely check that out! I've also got 'feelers' out to Yeovil Camera Club which is much closer......if they reply to my email!

Best wishes

David
David,
Best of luck with both of those leads. It may be worth checking out your local colleges as well as some of them still have darkrooms. Might mean getting on a course though to use them (evening course).

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 1st January 2009, 09:47 PM
Friend

Hello David and welcome.
Old 2nd January 2009, 08:18 PM
Friend

Hi David and welcome. Hope you're successful in finding a club with darkroom facilities. A poorer but possible second choice is a nightschool course. I started this way and found one that ran 2 courses a week where the tutor didn't mind the students paying a second unofficial visit a week on the other course if it wasn't full. The bug bit so deep that I ended up convincing the wife to let me convert a spare bedroom!.

A well insulated double skinned garden shed is another possibility. A certain founder member here has just such a facility and might pitch in.

Mike
Old 7th January 2009, 08:50 PM
Friend

Hello David

If Bristol is not too far away, I can recommend my local community centre in St Pauls. It has excellent facilities for black and white and colour work. It's a modern centre which inherited all the old, but perfectly usable equipment, from the Watershed in Bristol when it crossed over to the dark side. It always has space and most of the time I have the whole place to myself for the whole day. It was supposed to be a short term thing for me until I had my loft converted but it's such a good facility that it needs as much use as it can get to keep it running. I've given up the idea of converting my loft for now. Hope this helps. Here's a link: http://www.bristol.gov.uk/ccm/conten...F.tcwwwaplaws3

www.flickr.com/photos/toffeezebra/
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies