Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st February 2022, 09:23 AM
Friend

Question Storing id-11

Hi
I am still very new to home developing and have, to date, only used caffeinol. I have a couple of films that don't do well in it though so I am going to get some ID-11. The pack i will be buying makes a litre. I have two 500ml bottles. Will that do or do I need to get a litre bottle, preferably a black concertina one so as to limit the air in the bottle. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Peter
Old 21st February 2022, 10:35 AM
Friend

You should be fine mixing the litre and storing in two 500ml bottles, if you intend diluting for use. In that case, all you need to do is try to keep air in the bottle to a minimum during storage. You can use glass marbles in the bottle to take up space as you use the developer.
If you are going to use the method where you reuse stock, it would be best to keep the litre in one container.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 21st February 2022, 11:55 AM
Friend

Peter to some extent whether a 500ml container is ideal or not depends on how much ID 11 you need to develop one film. If that film is a 120 then most tanks need 500ml and I believe the Paterson tanks may need a bit more. On the other hand if it is one film and its 35mm then 250/300ml will be fine which leaves you with 200ml left over.

Equally if you use ID11 at a dilution of 1+1 then even a 120 film will not use the full 500ml of stock

So to cut a long story short the rule is that if you do not need all of the 500ml then either use a gas to protect what remains from the air or separate the 500m into 250ml bottles or even 125 ml bottles. Avoid leaving left-over stock with an air gap in a bottle for any more than a few days if possible.

Ilford gives some indication of its estimated shelf life of what a half filled container might be in its ID11 instruction leaflet

I too have a couple of concertina bottles which are OK for a short time if you can compress the bottle so the remaining liquid reaches the neck and excludes air but these bottles allegedly are made of the kind of plastic that allows air to permeate the bottle over longer periods so the general view is that they are inferior to the kind of plastic bottles for liquids such as squash or soda water which are called PET bottles which do not allow air to seep through the side and can be squashed to force the remaining liquid up to the neck of the bottle

I haven't used my concertina bottle for several years now because of the danger of air permeating it over several weeks

Mike
Old 21st February 2022, 01:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I too have a couple of concertina bottles... are made of the kind of plastic that allows air to permeate the bottle over longer periods so the general view is that they are inferior to the kind of plastic bottles for liquids such as squash or soda water which are called PET bottles

I haven't used my concertina bottle for several years now because of the danger of air permeating it over several weeks

Mike
I would second that only certain plastic bottles are ok for storing chemicals like ID11. I have been trying out various ones and the worst I have tried have been 4 pint 'plastic' milk bottles. Even with gas put into them, the chemicals went off and brown over night. Fresh orange juice bottles work, but have had acid in them, so some recommend leaving an alkaline liquid in them for 24 hours before putting (alkaline) developers like ID11 in them. Ideally, it's worth purchasing a few bottles, in different sizes, made for storing photographic liquids in.

Also, as Mike says, I would avoid the concertina bottles. From what I have read, it is the creases that allow the air in, and possibly the type of material used.

As for ID11, I and many others use it as 'one use', diluting it at 1 to 1 with water.

As for expelling excess air above the ID11 in the containers, yes you can use marbles, although a few of us find it easier to use 'propellant propane lighter fuel', which is sold at lots of places. I get mine from the Pound Shop for...a pound!!!

Also, if you haven't read it, this thread is worth reading:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ad.php?t=14122

Terry S
Old 21st February 2022, 01:29 PM
Friend

Thanks guys. Food for thought and there I was thinking it would be straight forward lol
Old 21st February 2022, 01:29 PM
Friend

I have from time to time used ID11, always used it as stock, putting it in 2 500ml bottles is fine if you use it diluted, but syock it is better to store as 1 litre, you can, in my view, to use plastic bottles, and what I have found with any developer over the yrs, is to squze th plastic botttle bottle untill the developer reaches the top then tighten the top, as long as the bootle stays squzed when the top is screwed on then air is excluded, but with ID11 it keeps pretty well anyway, I have storded it for a year with no ill effects
Richard
Old 21st February 2022, 02:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteK View Post
Thanks guys. Food for thought and there I was thinking it would be straight forward lol
Pete, it is straightforward. Get two 500ml coca cola bottles, or similar. Check that the tops make a good seal by tightening then trying to squeeze air out.
Mix your ID11 in a 1litre marked jug, then fill your 500ml bottles. If there is any air space in the top, squeeze the bottle slightly to expel it. Get a black felt tip pen and write "ID11" on each bottle, and the date you mixed it.
Put one bottle to one side and don't use it until the first bottle is used up. This keeps the developer away from the air.
After developing a film and using some of the developer in the first bottle, squeeze it carefully with the top half tight, to expel all the air.
Id11 keeps a long time in drinks bottles with a tight top seal. It has been my main developer for over 15 years and I always keep it as described here. I've got the remnants of a 5 litre batch mixed October 2018 and it is still working perfectly.

Alan
Old 21st February 2022, 02:57 PM
Friend

PeteK-
It sounds as if you shoot a small volume of film, but use several film stocks?
I use PMK Pyro. Comes as a 2 part concentrate, easy to mix, and I've used it successfully with PanF, HP5, SFX200, Rollei IR400, and a wee bit of FP4. The concentrate keeps a long time. I've had a recent quiet spell, and my PMK which has been open for at least 2 years is working just fine.
Works out about 60p per roll of 120, a bit less (37p?) for 35mm as it needs less chemistry. Yes, there are cheaper developers but I haven't had a failed film in the 10 years or so I've used it, and never had to throw away spoiled developer- every bottle used to the last drop.

HC110 is another long life dev, but I haven't used it for more than 20 years. Maybe a current user will chime in?
Old 21st February 2022, 03:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
Pete, it is straightforward. Get two 500ml coca cola bottles, or similar. Check that the tops make a good seal by tightening then trying to squeeze air out.
Mix your ID11 in a 1litre marked jug, then fill your 500ml bottles. If there is any air space in the top, squeeze the bottle slightly to expel it. Get a black felt tip pen and write "ID11" on each bottle, and the date you mixed it.
Put one bottle to one side and don't use it until the first bottle is used up. This keeps the developer away from the air.
After developing a film and using some of the developer in the first bottle, squeeze it carefully with the top half tight, to expel all the air.
Id11 keeps a long time in drinks bottles with a tight top seal. It has been my main developer for over 15 years and I always keep it as described here. I've got the remnants of a 5 litre batch mixed October 2018 and it is still working perfectly.

Alan
That looks encouraging thank you are we talking using it as stock and returning it to the bottle or using it diluted as one shot?
Old 21st February 2022, 03:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
PeteK-
It sounds as if you shoot a small volume of film, but use several film stocks?
Yeah, I have bounced around stocks since I got bitten by the film bug. I have had great results from xp2, Rollei rpx100/400, retro400 and, surprisingly, pushed Agfa APX..... I have some delta 100, hp5 and rpx100 on the way and have some foma 100 in my MX as we speak and a roll of Rollei 200superpan waiting in the wings. I have recently started home developing and may just plump for one, probably ilford, mainly because there is tons of info out there
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies