Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th June 2022, 03:30 PM
Friend

Is posting it to yourself a viable option? Does post get x-rayed?

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Old 18th June 2022, 04:45 PM
Friend

I don’t know if international mail is routinely x-rayed. I would hope it is from a security point of view.
I have bought film from foreign suppliers and there hasn’t been any issue with it being fogged, so I suppose posting exposed film home might be a good option.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 19th June 2022, 11:18 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Well, I have developed the three films that I took to Spain and which went through the routine scan at Manchester Airport on the way out and after exposure at Bilbao Airport on the way back and they are fine.

I have no idea what type of scanner were used at either airport and decided not to develop a 'control' film as I wasn't looking for any possible subtle differences merely that they were printable. However, there does not appear to be any obvious difference to similarly previously developed Delta 100.

Mike
Old 19th June 2022, 01:01 PM
Friend

Good to know, Mike.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 19th June 2022, 04:20 PM
Friend

Mike, can you recall of there was the any notice prior to the hand luggage scanners that mentioned that the scanners could adversely affect film?

It's all very strange in that both your and Alex's experience with what I think are almost certainly the new CT scanners that fog film, appear to have no adverse effect when Ilford and Kodak were at pains to point out that their testing of such scanners would almost certainly cause problems

Mike
Old 21st June 2022, 04:59 PM
Friend

I’ve just received my colour negative films back from trips to Germany and Italy, mentioned above. The films are fine, with no obvious damage from the scanners. These films traveled from the UK, were exposed at the destination and returned to the UK in hand luggage, prior to processing.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 21st June 2022, 06:22 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Mike, can you recall of there was the any notice prior to the hand luggage scanners that mentioned that the scanners could adversely affect film?

It's all very strange in that both your and Alex's experience with what I think are almost certainly the new CT scanners that fog film, appear to have no adverse effect when Ilford and Kodak were at pains to point out that their testing of such scanners would almost certainly cause problems

Mike
I noticed no warning signs anywhere.

Mike
Old 22nd June 2022, 11:48 AM
Friend

Thanks Mike and Alex for the further info

Mike
Old 22nd June 2022, 04:35 PM
Friend

Default X Ray Scanners

The scanners used in airports etc are in all probability quite low powered as scanners go. Bearing in mind the number of scans that must take place and sometime during their working hours the staff must come into contact with the emissions Before the fall of the Berlin Wall the usual land route for HM and USA Forces and families plus German Nationals travelling to Berlin was along the Autobahn corridor to the border crossing at Helmstadt.

It was discovered after unification that where the crossing had formerly taken place, that the building through which all vehicles had to pass had an X Ray scanner for examining these vehicles (still with the people in) was one with power well above recognised safety levels even then, so I think we are quite lucky.

Last edited by John King; 22nd June 2022 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12th October 2023, 03:24 PM
Friend

Anyone got recent experience of taking film through security at Stansted?

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies