Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Help!

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th April 2014, 10:33 PM
Friend

Default Newbie advice please

Hello, I hope I have found the right place and people to ask.
With the help of some books I have been taking black and white pictures and developing/printing them at home. All amazingly good fun and rewarding.

Right now what I am stuck on is two things. Number one is that sometimes I want to print the difference in (seen world) colours in my B&W prints and I think I should be able to get filters for this but the ones I have are more for varying contrast (I think). A related difficulty is if say for example if I have a shot of a building which looks great but the sky is white, how do I fix that?

The second thing is not so much a problem just a query. In the books I have, the authors seem to think that 10 seconds is a good rough guide for how long one might expose a print in the darkroom. In my set-up, it's more like 3 seconds. That is with the lens set at minimum aperture. Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry I know there are many variables. I'm using basic entry-level Paterson equipment, Ilford chemicals. Thanks in advance for any help and apologies if my questions are stupid.

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies