Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th June 2009, 02:40 PM
Friend

Default How do I get MORE grain?

Being limited to XTOL right now, are there any suggestions on how to see more grain in my images? I love grain - as much as possible! Big chunks please! Delta 3200 pushed one or two stops is getting a little of what I'm after. Will a higher brew temperature help? Other film suggestions? Is there such a film with slow speed and high grain?

Bruce
Old 19th June 2009, 03:33 PM
Friend

Higher temperature will help, the down side is likely to be an increase in base fog but at least it will be consistent across the whole negative. The negative will be more dense and you will also lose a little contrast pushing you towards using a higher paper grade to achieve the contrast you may wish. However, the higher paper grade will help increase the grain. You can also try over exposing the film which along with increased development will increase grain with the resultant negative being a little more difficult to print but if you like grain then it is a small price to pay. Try Delta 3200 at 25,000 ISO to produce more grain especially if you experiment with developer temperature and dilution. For example very dilute developer with long development time will also increase grain but you will need to experiment with all these combinations to determine what best suits your taste. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old 19th June 2009, 10:08 PM
Friend

Thanks Les! I'm planning some really low light stuff in the near future so I'll do some tests. I just wish there was such as thing as 50 ISO film that had golfball size grain! Apparently such a thing existed many years ago and it was used for scientific work - something called E6??
Old 20th June 2009, 02:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkclassical View Post
Being limited to XTOL right now, are there any suggestions on how to see more grain in my images? I love grain - as much as possible! Big chunks please! Delta 3200 pushed one or two stops is getting a little of what I'm after. Will a higher brew temperature help? Other film suggestions? Is there such a film with slow speed and high grain?

Bruce
Just a suggestion, you could buy a sub-miniature-format Camera as films are still available and develop it in a universal developer like Champion Suprol, then make a big enlargement from the negative. There is even a specially designed film processing tank available for the Minox format.

http://www.pixel-store.co.uk/classicminox.html
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies