Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th June 2009, 10:32 PM
Friend

Default Storing Negatives

Would appreciate hearing your views on what you use to store your negatives in.

At present I use Glassine Negative Bags, one film strip per bag whether it's 120 roll or 35mm. I'm keen on continuing this method but I'm finding it more and more difficult to find suppliers who stock both bags in the film sizes I use.

Previously used a 4-hole ring binder with some plastic wallet pages but I couldn't get on with them as they always left me negs dusty (maybe the wrong sort of plastic) and had trouble getting them in and out. Might be interested in a sort of glassine paper equivalent if they exist.

I'm open minded.

Thanks

apxuser

P.S.

I've just editing my post to say, I notice a similar forum thread: About the 5x4 size but still keen for any additional info on whether glassine is good or bad.

Similar neg/slide storeage thread: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...read.php?t=784

Last edited by Larry; 30th June 2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: related forum search
Old 30th June 2009, 11:07 PM
Friend

I use Printfile neg sleeves (1 film per page - 35mm or 120) filed in Silverprint ring-binder archival cardboard portfolio boxes. This works well for me and I have no problems at all with dust. The negs are a snug fit in the sleeves, but I like them.
Ian
Old 1st July 2009, 10:22 AM
Friend

Like Ian I too use Printfile for all my negatives from 35mm to 10x8.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 1st July 2009, 11:58 AM
Friend

I too use printfile for all negs, 35mm to 120, I get mine from firstcall,Richard
Old 1st July 2009, 05:55 PM
Friend

I use ring binder boxes for all my negs that were orderd from silverprint.

I have Had no problerms with glassine neg holders some are over 25 years old and the neg are still as good as they went in.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 1st July 2009, 06:54 PM
Friend

I bought a packet of Kenro clear 35mm neg. storage sheets. Again 1 page for 1 roll of film. What I liked about them was that I could make a complete contact sheet without having to remove the negs. When they were used up I could only get a Jessops packet. These are not nearly as well made and inserting the negs is almost impossible as the openings are so tight. I had to give up using them and went back to using the clear on one side only sheets also from Jessops.
I will check out Printfile.
Thanks
vincent
Old 2nd July 2009, 05:30 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I have always used Kenro glassine negative sheets for all formats. However as they seem to have stopped making them in 4 x 5 I bought Printfile ones from Silverprint. They have the added advantage of being able to contact print through them without having to remove the negatives first.

Bill
Old 2nd July 2009, 09:36 AM
Friend

I get my Kenro sheets, 120 & 35mm, from 7Day shop by mail order. I have used other makes but they reduce the width of the slot which makes it very difficult to get the strips in and out. Like Vincent I make my contact prints by laying the full page on an A4 size sheet and placing a sheet of glass on top; it does reduce the risk of damage to the negs and speeds up the process.

Tony
Old 3rd July 2009, 08:25 PM
Friend

Firstcall stock Kenro neg storage for 35mm/120,Richard
Old 5th July 2009, 11:55 AM
Friend

Many thanks to everyone who has responded, it's much appreciated.

I decided to get some printfile storage neg pages and some more glassine neg bags from silverprint.

Vincent's comment about the issues he was having with the jessops variety, I now remember where my original problematic sheets also came from, hence don't use them anymore.

Thanks and cheers to all for sharing your experiences and thoughts.

apxuser
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies