Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th August 2018, 06:59 AM
Friend

Default Home made filters.

I've been out and about with my Rollei 6003 in the last couple of days.

Might have been interesting to have used a coloured filter or two, just to see what happened. Bay VI filters way out of my budget.

Was wondering if I could use lighting gel sheets to create a home made filter to fit snug on the sun hood.

Would lighting gels work ?

Anybody made any coloured filters? If so what did you use ?

Ian
Old 8th August 2018, 07:26 AM
Friend

Ian, Cokin make a gel filter holder that fits their system holders. It’s a sauare plastic frame which can be opened like a book. The gel, cut to size, fits in the frame. You then use the filter as normal in the holder. Lighting gels should work, but you may need to experiment with exposure to ascertain the filter factor.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 8th August 2018, 07:29 AM
Friend

Ian, take a look at SRB, they do some B VI step rings, for around £15 each, that way you could use round glass screw filters in your Rollei using the step ring, and their round filters are the cheapest around and good quality, I have been using a orange and yellow filter from SRB for years and very good it is to, as an example get 1 67 to B4 adaptor and orange 67 filter would be around £30, and you can add other filters as you want, much better quality at a low price, and gell filters could prove expensive as they won't last a 1/4 as long as an adaptor/filter combi, otherwise you can always do as I do and attach your filters in an approite size with good old blu tak, apart from my TLR's, which all take B1, I use blu tak for the rest of my cameras
Richard
Old 8th August 2018, 10:13 AM
Friend

Hi Alex, Hi Richard

Many thanks for the replies, will look into both.

Like the idea of the Bay VI step ring, seems to solve the problem "off the shelf"

Ian
Old 8th August 2018, 11:40 AM
Friend

Ian, I don't think a non-optical-grade material would be a good choice, as it would surely degrade image quality. And it is not coated like a quality filter would be.

I have a similar dilemma with my Autocord -- there are precious few reasonably priced Bay I hoods and filters around. So I will be buying an adaptor - Bay I to 30.5mm - and using the B+W filters and hood that I already have for my Rollei 35.

For your lens, there are a few such adaptor options out there:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Rollei-Rollei...ter/1440628119

https://www.robertwhite.co.uk/lee-fi...ptor-ring.html

https://www.srb-photographic.co.uk/r...ings-840-c.asp

This seems the way to go. Good luck.

Svend
Old 9th August 2018, 08:04 AM
Friend

Lighting filters are made of heat-resistant material such as butyrate where optical characteristics are irrelevant. Acrylic filters are good in the optical path, as are gelatine, although they are not very robust. Storing them interleaved with card and mounting them in a Cokin frame is favourite for inexpensive experimentation. You can invest in glass when you are more confident.
Heavy red and orange filters give really unexpected and exciting results, as does green.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies