Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th August 2010, 12:29 PM
Friend

Default Security

Anyone else get regularly approached by folks that make you feel like taking photographs is a serious provacation in some way? I know security people have a job to do and all that, but purely taking pics gets you stuck straight into the troublemaker catergory.

I've been told off by farmers more in the last year than the past decades. I dont mind farmers though, if you show their interests a bit of respect they can often soften up a bit and want to chat, but the security guard types seem all too keen to want details and are quick to mention police. I know for whatever reason they do what they do, but I'm a middle aged geezer, law abiding, and often using 5x4, and non too terrorist looking.

I only mention this because me and a snapper friend got too close to a couple of power stations recently and security came out and did the time honoured clear off or we'll call the police bit. Because we went in my friends car he got a call from the police a couple of days later, and he lives over 200 miles from where we were collered. The police also told him all the other places where his car had been seen that day. I spoke to my mate this morning and he said I'll probably be visited soon also - especially as I gave security one of my cards!

There is a bit of irony here, in wanting to take photographs but being warned off, yet filmed constantly on roads, in towns and around most biggish new buildings. I can see me heading for the table top work if things get worse, or is the real answer just to stay well away from any area you might feel has issues.

On a more positive note, good the police are on the ball, but its sad that photography is seen firstly as a subversive activity. I'll bet there are not many real trouble makers on FADU (unless you mention the possibility of going digital)
Old 17th August 2010, 12:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
I only mention this because me and a snapper friend got too close to a couple of power stations recently and security came out and did the time honoured clear off or we'll call the police bit.
Tell them that you are going to call the police yourself to complain about them harassing you.

If they persist, actually do it (or pretend to do it if your acting skills are up to it!).

Steve.
Old 17th August 2010, 01:08 PM
Friend

Power stations could possibly be classified as under the Official Secrets Act of 1911 but apparently none are. So... This is my plan if I ever get stopped (though, to be honest, I never have because I make myself as unobtrusive as possible) ... Let them call the police. The police know the law. Point out that if you *were* a problem, they'd be letting a crime happen* and therefore, call the police. Get it sorted out there and then. You're making yourself look suspect by fleeing and the security guy took the plate number down and reported it to the police anyway and they have to follow it up for the paperwork.

Farmers, on the other hand, if you're on private property, you should obey them or at least be nice and comply (see UK Photographers' Rights pdf elsewhere on the internet for more on that).

The absolute best thing you can be is informed and cooperative. Not everyone knows everyone else's motives or intents. You know you're a good person, other people don't know that.

Also, if you can look like you "belong" in your setting, you'll get ignored more easily. Seems to work in London for me. I don't take forever focusing my camera, I look down at it, get the settings right, then take the shot in one swift and decisive motion. My husband takes forever sorting out his SLR and putting on lenses and stuff that he basically becomes an obvious eyesore that people watch. He's not been stopped either, though.

*similar point should be made to anyone demanding you destroy your film or delete images. Oh really? You want me to destroy evidence? I'm sorry but I think that's quite wrong...
Old 17th August 2010, 01:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
Farmers, on the other hand, if you're on private property, you should obey them or at least be nice and comply
Yes.... unless that private land is also a public footpath.

Quote:
My husband takes forever sorting out his SLR and putting on lenses and stuff that he basically becomes an obvious eyesore that people watch.
That's probably why they don't take any notice of you. You're using him as a distraction!

Quote:
*similar point should be made to anyone demanding you destroy your film or delete images. Oh really? You want me to destroy evidence? I'm sorry but I think that's quite wrong...
And remember that not even the police have the authority to demand you destroy or delete images.

Steve.
Old 17th August 2010, 03:36 PM
Friend

I'm very much with Steve here, if they want to call the police, then let them. Basicly if you are on public property, which may differ from a public right of way, you may photograph whatever and whomever you wish.

There is an earlier thread on this subject.

Last edited by Dave miller; 17th August 2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 17th August 2010, 04:13 PM
Friend

Ask whether the cctv has asked permission to photograph you......... Agreed with the rest, be nice and co-operative, but well within your rights. And regard the security as merely ignorant, not vicious.... Sometimes it helps.
Old 17th August 2010, 04:35 PM
Friend

Having lived on farms for the past 35 years I have seen the results of uncaring public, including photographers, actions while crossing farmers land. Leaving gates open is one of the regular occurances which allows animals to roam free.
I once witnessed a walker refusing to move his car from in front of a gate that a farmer needed to open to move stock. This happened on private land where the farmer provided a small field for parking free of charge but the car driver refused to use the parking field because he had always parked his car in front of the gate. The farmer had just bought the farm and was a very keen walker himself which is why he provided the free parking space. The result of the car drivers actions caused the farmer to lock a gate on the private road to the farm that he maintained and this prevented anyone from driving up the road to start their walk, instead they had to park off his land and walj a further 3 miles each way. The farmer is a close personal friend who farms in Yorkshire.

I agree that security "yobs" try to bully photographers with the law but the good advice already posted here is the way to deal with them. Neither they, nor the police have any right to destroy film.
Old 17th August 2010, 04:47 PM
Friend

I usually stay away from walks that go through farmyards. There's usually a dog or two to contend with and I often wonder how I would like it if someone was walking through my back garden every weekend, public right of way or not! More than once I've seen a family with young children walk through a field of cows - with a dog off its lead. Then they wondered why the cows started chasing them. City folks eh?
Old 17th August 2010, 04:48 PM
Friend

How do you find a fool in the countryside? You take him there.....
Old 17th August 2010, 05:03 PM
Friend

While photographing the Thames Barrier some years ago I was threatened with the police by a security guard. As I was photographing from the foreshore I politely said by all means do. They never put in an appearance and I got the pictures I wanted before moving on.

I was once with a friend and we were both looking in an antique shop window in a little Kentish village and the next day my friend got a phone call from the police (we drove around in his car) asking what we were doing. As Richard says, at least it's good to know they are sometimes on the ball with suspicious looking dudes like my friend and I
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies