Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th September 2010, 08:12 AM
Friend

Default What camera for a newbie!

At college we have some medium (and large) format cameras.
I fancy trying the medium format out - they have Bronica and Mamiya.

I don't know anything about medium format and last week I actually held one for the first time! Our tutor brought in his Hassleblad - I was in total awe - what a beast!!!

Anyway, what do you think would be the best camera to buy as a total beginner to medium format?
Obviously I'm going to borrow one from college to try out first but I'd like to know which would be best if I decide to buy one.

RB67 Pro S
Canon EOS 30
Old 25th September 2010, 08:23 AM
Friend

From my limited experience I think it really depends on a lot of different factors.

Do you want an SLR, a TLR or a rangefinder?

What frame size do you want? 645 doesn't give that much over 35mm from what I've been told (but having never shot either I couldn't confirm it), 6x6 is probably the most abundant format but doesn't work for everything and I find it quite difficult sometimes as I'm not one of those people who can look through the viewfinder and see how I'm going to crop it later, or there's 6x7, I think this is better for portraiture than 6x6 and would get one if I hadn't already invested so much in Bronica 6x6.

Studio based or mobile? By all accounts the Mamiya 6x7s are hefty beasts, do you want to lug one around all day or do you want something lighter?

Do you want interchangeable backs? If not, what about a Pentax 6x7 SLR? Has it's own quirks by all accounts but also has long, reasonably fast lenses which don't cost the earth.

And then there's your budget. Bronica SQA kit is plentiful and if you shop around is probably among the cheapest formats, Mamiya is a bit more expensive, Hasselblad more so and the rare Contax MF kits.

Not much help really am I
Old 25th September 2010, 08:35 AM
Friend

A lot will be determined by the kind of photography and subject matter you will be shooting.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 25th September 2010, 08:38 AM
Friend

Why not try a MF folder, they can be had for bargain prices and are a great introduction to MF without breaking the bank, or perhaps a tlr,You can get mamitaflex again at bargain prices and nice lens,or if you want the best an old Rolleiflex, I have folders and TLR's that I prefer to use rather than my Bronica outfit,which has laid unsed for nearly 2 years, and the above are ''friendly'' cameras,people don't seem to mind them somehow,Richard
Old 25th September 2010, 09:57 AM
Friend

Folders = the ones with bellows?

I'd probably use a med format for mainly studio stuff....still life and portraits. I was thinking 6x6 or 6x7.

RB67 Pro S
Canon EOS 30
Old 25th September 2010, 10:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMrs View Post
Folders = the ones with bellows?

I'd probably use a med format for mainly studio stuff....still life and portraits. I was thinking 6x6 or 6x7.
The most common folders are the 6x6, though you can find 6x9 and 4.5x6 as well. As long as it has a pc flash sync on the shutter they are quite good for studio work, though the closest focus is usually 1 metre.

Best bang for the buck is almost certainly a 6x6 TLR as it's one of the most comfortable cameras (IMO) for a wide range of contexts.
Old 25th September 2010, 11:00 AM
Friend

The 6x6 Bronica SLR is a good range as is the Mamiya 6x7. The Mamiya have the advantage of a rotating back so you can change from portrait to landscape without removing the camera from the tripod. The Mamiya RZ is the current electronic range, whilst the earlier RB range is all mechanical, and the range that I would recommend for college / studio use. However the Bronica is a much lighter range, although battery reliant. The lens quality of both is very good. I have used both ranges, but now use a Bronica SQ simply because of the lighter weight of the system.
Old 25th September 2010, 11:06 AM
Friend

I agree with Sandeha, while folders are very usefull for studio work, I would go for a Tlr, something like a Rolleiflex or Rolleicord, while being fixed lens, are great for studio work, I have both a rolleiflex, an Automat from 1954, and a Rolleicord Va2 from 1961, they had a cla and are working perfectly, they are light compared to, say, a MF slr, and are very easy to work with, and great performers, Richard
Old 25th September 2010, 11:25 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMrs View Post
At college we have some medium (and large) format cameras.
I fancy trying the medium format out - they have Bronica and Mamiya.

I don't know anything about medium format and last week I actually held one for the first time! Our tutor brought in his Hassleblad - I was in total awe - what a beast!!!

Anyway, what do you think would be the best camera to buy as a total beginner to medium format?
Obviously I'm going to borrow one from college to try out first but I'd like to know which would be best if I decide to buy one.
Hi, seeing that the collage has both bronica and mamiya why not give both a go and see which one suits you best before making your choice.

I use a bronica 6x6 It took me a long time to settle on this format. Im very pleased I took my time with my choice. I would not want to be without it now.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 25th September 2010, 11:37 AM
Friend

I started MF with a TLR - it is still the favorite of all my cameras. There are a number of brands: Rollei, Mamiya, Yashica. They can be had for all type of prices depending upon condition and model. Here is a link very useful for researching Rollei TLRs as there are many, many versions.

Also, you might consider the toy cameras: Holga, Diana. They shoot MF film and are relatively inexpensive - although quite expensive for what they are. The images taken are not great; however, I have seen many wonderful prints made from their negatives. The flawed image on the negatives is taken advantage of in the making of the print. Here is a link to some geat examples from Wolfgang Moersch. At some point soon I would like to give the Holga a try as means to push my creativity in printmaking.

There's hope in these footsteps of persistence...
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies