Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th July 2011, 06:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Twiss View Post
As a rule no. However Sandy King recommends a brief hypo clear after fixing when using Pyrocat HD. I can't say that the quality of my negatives has suffered by not doing this.
I don't use it for film either. It has become a year of testing my method along with changes to the materials I use. I'm also curious.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 4th May 2021, 12:02 PM
Friend

Just browsing, I started to come across many older sites, with a lot quoting from older books, suggesting the use of Baking Soda / Sodium Bicarbonate as a wash aid. This sounded good, as my local one pound shop sells a large packet of it cheaply and it seems that you only have to use half as much as Sodium Sulfite.

For decades after first starting photography in the 1970's, I used Washing Soda / Sodium Carbonate, as that's what was recommended in books of the time and has always been cheap and easy to find, for me anyway.

The past few years, after the invention of the internet and reading a good few books, I have gone across to Sodium Sulfite as my hypo clearing solution, as that is said to be the most efficient for washing FB prints, so this I will continue to use until told otherwise.

Has anyone ever used Baking Soda or some other strange mixture to wash their FB prints in the past - or even present?!

And just to confirm, none of my FB prints, from the start of my printing, have any stains, so what I have used over time has obviously worked!

Terry S
Old 4th May 2021, 01:12 PM
Friend

John Finch in his book, recommended here recently, gives sodium bicarbonate as the ingredient in Agfa 320 hypo clearing agent, 10 gms per litre of water.

Tony
Old 4th May 2021, 02:25 PM
Friend

This is a blast from the past having read it again. My method did change ( thank you for the info) for certain prints using hypo but in a lot of cases I just use plain water without any ill affect.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 4th May 2021, 02:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Twiss View Post
As a rule no. However Sandy King recommends a brief hypo clear after fixing when using Pyrocat HD. I can't say that the quality of my negatives has suffered by not doing this.
We haven't seen Adrian fora while for me to ask him but does anyone else know where this recommendation of Sandy King appears? It would be interesting to see what reason he gave it and what evidence he presented for it.

Mike
Old 4th May 2021, 11:13 PM
Friend

If you do a search you will find lots of info about the superiority of Kodak HCA (sulphite + a little metabisulphite + maybe if needed a couple of other ingredients) over older recommendations such as Agfa's sodium carbonate etc.
Old 5th May 2021, 04:19 AM
Friend

The main reason for HCA is that washing need longer in acid environment. HCA simply makes the paper alkaline. From my point of view, every weak to medium alkali can be used. I don't us that but if I do, I would take baking soda. Cheap and not aggressiver.
Old 5th May 2021, 07:42 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
Agfa's recommendation for many years was a 2% solution of sodium carbonate (=washing soda). It's also very stable because it doesn't oxidate as water solution.
How do you measure out enough to equate a 2% solution? By volume or weight?

Last edited by John King; 5th May 2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 5th May 2021, 10:19 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
How do you measure out enough to equate a 2% solution? By volume or weight?
Weight

Almost all chemicals are measured by weight.

For those who don't know 1 Litre of water weighs 1kg (1000g)

Martin
Old 5th May 2021, 10:54 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
Weight

Almost all chemicals are measured by weight.

For those who don't know 1 Litre of water weighs 1kg (1000g)

Martin
Which equals 20 grammes to 1 litre of water.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies